Will the emergency rooms and hospitals be forced to change their policy? How's that gonna work... Can it even be enforced?

Now, for the record, all humans should be allowed some form of health care, but unfortunately, there have to be limits. I'm conflicted though over this new health care bill and its claim to deny illegal aliens free health care in this country. The conflict comes because, as I know first hand, hospitals are not allowed to ascertain a persons legal status before approving or denying care in emergency rooms or county hospitals. And even if they do try to implement some standard of "identification" exactly how many health care workers are going to implement it in the face of a 60 year old woman or a 6 year old child who is brought in with serious illness or injury.

OH and the other thing...... I heard that the damn IRS is going to be the 'policing entity' for Americans who are now required to carry coverage. What's up with that? They don't have such authority do they?

ItsNotSoBad

Asked by ItsNotSoBad at 7:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• First of all, I think it's not health care that would be denied illegals, it is health insurance. Second, I'm not sure how this new bill works with EMTALA,but ERs cannot deny care at all right now, including to illegals. They can stabilize the patient and send them on their merry way, but they cannot deny someone in need of care.

As far as the IRS... the health insurance is tied to your tax return since you get a tax credit of sorts for showing that you purchased insurance.
    Anonymous

• According to our four fathers no they shouldn't. However Obama is finding loop holes for his own personal pleasure. However I agree that illegals should still be treated in emergency sits. Though their citizen status should be checked and if illegal they should be deported. I don't think any one should be turned away from the hospital.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Private hospitals now have the right to turn away anyone
    Anonymous

• There will still be millions of legal citizens uninsured - hospitals won't be turning them away either. Insurance and care are not the same thing. if more people got that maybe this disaster wouldn't have passed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• NP  ---------- Being party line was more important.  ...shaking head...

Anonymous

• I didnt know Private hospitials could dent people. I thought if you were seriously injured they treated you then sent you to a public hospital?
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 11:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Silly -- ask Michelle O about that! She knows ALL ABOUT it. It's called patient dumping. The nice neat private hospitals don't want all those low income medicaid and medicare patients crowding the hallways and waiting rooms.

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/09/18/one-woman-michelle-obama-will-not-mention/

This is one example of what happened:

In February 2009, outrage in the Obamas’ community exploded after a young boy covered by Medicaid was turned away from the University of Chicago Medical Center. Dontae Adams’ mother, Angela, had sought emergency treatment for him after a pit bull tore off his upper lip. Mrs. Obama’s hospital gave the boy a tetanus shot, antibiotics, and Tylenol and shoved him out the door. The mother and son took an hour-long bus ride to another hospital for surgery.

Makes you all excited to get on Medicaid, doesn't it?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:16 AM on Mar. 24, 2010