Christians is this verse can it not not be fair to say...

That we should also not became slave to our religion or god?

1 Corinthians 6:12

12 You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is good for you. And even though “I am allowed to do anything,” I must not become a slave to anything.

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you don't mind, I'm just going to copy the King James version of the verse here:

"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any."

It may be weird, but I'm so used to the old english scriptures, that I understand it better. I actually love how this uses the word "expedient" which means practical, wise or appropriate. Concerning the practice of religion, there are many good things which are not always expedient. For example, it's good for me to read my scriptures, but it would not be expedient for me to read them every hour of every day; too many other responsibilities to tend to.
    Anonymous

• We are not a slave to God. We love God and that naturally shows through us.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• A slave is forced into obedience. I came to God willingly, but now i know he is my master. and i have know problem being his slave, since being a slave to God means obeying someone that has your best interest at heart and who loves you more than any person could. He is my master and i will not go free, because i don't want to
    dkej242

Answer by dkej242 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• This isn't refering to what Christians should be, it's more about those who are out of fear. They base every thing of their religion out of fear. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• It means to me that we should not become completely taken by any one worldly object. People get referred to as enslaved by money or enslaved by debt. Don't be closed minded and assume it refers to "slavery" Look at the wording.."a slave to anyTHING." Not anyone..any thing. This is talking about greed and possessions.
    It is stated in the Bible that we have free will and are not puppets of anyone not even God. It is his gift to us. So this passage when viewed as a part of the Bible as a whole says nothing about the relationship between us and God or even us and other people.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• djek242 It still says be a slave to nothing. So he does not want slave.
    Anonymous

• Wow. How can a true christian give themselves fully to God just seeing the fear side? I feel sorry for them if they can't experience his love on the count of this. What this verse means it is basically talking about idolizing anything and adictions.

I know a few IRL and on here who do. All they preach is fear. That's my point.

Also anything would include religion, or any one. A quote I heard onse will clarify. Anything means everything, everything refers to being, and objects alike. There fore can not anything be Nothing. I can't remember where I saw that but it makes a weird kind of sense.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• As indicated by the Scriptures, although a Christian may be a slave to an earthly master, he is actually Christ’s freedman, liberated from bondage to sin and death. But having been bought with a price, Jesus’ precious blood, a Christian who is a freeman in a physical sense is a slave of God and of Jesus Christ, obligated to obey their commands. This indicates that for humans freedom is always relative, never absolute. Therefore, from God’s viewpoint, in the Christian congregation there is no difference between slave and freeman. Moreover, the freedom possessed by a Christian does not entitle him to use this as a blind for badness.—1Co 7:22, 23; Ga 3:28; Heb 2:14, 15; 1Pe 1:18, 19; 2:16.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 8:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• This was a verse about immoral sex which is not a worldly object. So really it can be any thing.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• OK,The love that Christ has, as shown in his dying for mankind, moves many to live no longer for self. (2 Cor. 5:14, 15) Our having disowned ourselves, acknowledging Jehovah as our Owner, should be evident by how we live our lives every day. (Matt. 16:24) What motivates us to let Jehovah’s will direct our lives? I put it this way: “Since we have disowned ourselves, we each want to make ourselves available to do anything in line with Jehovah’s Will.” (Mark 8:34) By his words and deeds, Jesus showed that happiness comes from giving and from serving, not from selfishness. (Matthew 20:28; Acts 20:35) When we no longer live for ourselves but follow Christ continually, we find great satisfaction in life now and have the prospect of eternal life in the future. Of course, when we disown ourselves, Jehovah becomes our Owner.We thus become slaves of God.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2010