Lactose intolerance or upset system?

My daughter is 3.5 years old. Last week, she came down with a stomach bug. The first thing she threw up was milk. It was a 24 hour bug, and by the next day, she wasn't throwing up any more, and her diarrhea was going away. However, after she had milk again, she started having diarrhea again. Every time after she's had milk, she's gotten diarrhea since she got sick.

My question is this: is this her becoming lactose intolerant (her daddy is lactose intolerant after having been raised on goat milk) or could it still just be her intestinal flora still recovering from being sick? I really don't want her to be lactose intolerant. She loves milk. I want to get her into the pediatrician soon, but we'll have to wait a week or two for an appointment. Any input would be appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• her daddy is lactose intolerant after having been raised on goat milk

Is this true? Scientifically.. I am doing the same with my kids.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 7:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Try switching her to soy or goats milk. If she still has the problem then you know.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 7:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• (OP) Cristinaberger, yes, it is. Goat's milk has a small amount of lactose that most people with lactose intolerance can actually still process without problems.
    Anonymous

• So your husband would have been lactose intolerant anyways, but the goat milk consumption was masking it. I misunderstood when I first read you question. I thought you said that goat milk caused it somehow.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 8:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Not necessarily, cristina. I asked this question because all the info I've found has talked about becoming lactose intolerant because of the body getting used to not producing lactase (the enzyme that processes lactose) and then becoming unable because of that to digest the lactose. And the lack of drinking high lactose containing milk does that. Hence, goats milk diet leading to lactose intolerance.

However, I was trying to find out if illness can also cause it.
    Anonymous

• Any illness & /or antibiotics can kill off good bacteria in the gut. Try giving her probiotics to rebalance her system.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• I was lactose intolerant as a child.but still drank milk.I dont have ANY issues now.My husband is lactose intolerant and can only eat cheese and some ice creams.We drink Lactade milk.My daughter was lactose intolerant til she was about 2 and a half.She can now drink milk with no problems also.She was on Soy Formula and drank lactatde,now she can have whole milk...As for my 1 year old..We are still working to see what she has..so far she can have milk...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:44 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Could be, Try soy.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 11:47 AM on Sep. 15, 2010