I WANT TO BREAK UP WITH MY SON.....

This is coming from my heart. I have two sons, 20 and 22. The 22 year old is on my nerves so bad that I just want to break up with him - like for real. He has moved back in with his step-dad and me for the 5th time - I know, we're gluttons for punishment, this last time he wanted to move back in there were some very legitimate reason for us to feel the need give him a break. BUT he agrees to rules then won't keep them, when he WILL speak to us, it's hateful and most of the time just snotty comments that make ya just wanna smack him. He won't come in on time and calls us in the middle of the night, waking us up just to tell us he won't be in before midnight (mind you it's already after midnight) when he should have called hours ago. He's so hateful to us that we've gotten to where we've started sniping at him and I hate that. I'm ready to just break up with him, if that makes any sense at all. I'm at the end of my last nerve.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Your not wrong for feeling that way. Your being abused and treated wrong by your child when you are doing nothing but sticking your neck out for him. I think you should tell him how you feel and that if hes going to live under your roof he needs to obey rules or hes out. And you need to cut him off completely. He will realize how much you give him and how much he really does need you and should shape up. Gl and dont give in, keep tough it will be the best for everyone in the end. ANd yes giving him a break for a legitimate reason is fine. Hes your son you needed to be understanding, but I think he has just taken it too far.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Tough love....and it's easier said than done. It's not that you don't love him, but he's not following your house rules, so out goes his butt to wherever he wants to shack up!!!! Seriously, it's time to break up with your son lol Pack his stuff, leave it on the driveway and say your outta here!
    It's your home! Claim it back!
    Anonymous

• Oh boy, is this what I have to look forward to. My older son is 12 and I want to "Break up" with him at times. It's the hardest job being a mother. I wish you luck and hope I do the right think too. Take care.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 8:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Sounds like you didn't raise him to have respect for you in the first place. My brother is 21 and would never talk to our parents that way he has the fear in him. I say it's too late to fix him now and just treat him like any other adult. Have an open honest conversation about where you're coming from and what you expect in return as another adult in the house. If that doesn't work0 I would tell him that he needs to find somewhere else to live and stick to that.
    Anonymous

• If you keep letting you son stay in your home only to be dis-repectful, then I'm gonna say that you aren't teaching him anything or doing him any favors. If you keep giving him what he wants, then he's learning that he can be a jerk and bum off of other ppl without earning their respect. Time to kick him out, unless you want to keep feeling quilty by enabling him. It's time for him to learn that the world doesn't revolve around him or owes him something just because he lives and breathes. We as humans tend to learn best the hard way. Good luck to you.
    Anonymous