how do i get my child to stop worrying about food? all he cares about are snacks and when is his next snack!!

he isnt over weight at all but i swear as soon as he eats dinner he wants a snack. He is saying he is hungry again. It really drives me bonkers. I try to spread his snack times out but he begs and begs. Sometimes i feel like he only says he is hungry for breakfast or lunch just because he thinks he is going to get snacks. Why does he do this? I never give in but i feel really bad like "what if he really is hungry?" could he be going through a growth spurt? Its sad because he just came down stairs and said he would give me his dollars if i let him have a snack, its heartbreaking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I think that's boredom and a bit of growth spurt. Make sure he's eating enough at each meal.
    Anonymous

• my 8 year old is the same way!! Never hungry at meal times or gets "full" right away but wants a snack later. When I offer him fruit, he says he'll just wait. I'm trying to be pretty strick, but you just don't know what to do. Some people say let them decide when they're full, don't make them fiish their plate. Others say make them eat it all- u just can't win. And it drives me NUTS!!!!

btw my son is not overweight
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first 2 moms and yeas it will drive you crazy but it will pass. Actually I wish I had that problem in my 5 yr old. He never wants to eat! It looks like we starve him, we don't, it is just that he hates food
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:15 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Well you just need to have some goo dsnacks on hand like grapes bananas cheese sticks yogert that way of you do deside to let him have one then it is healthy and okay for him to have. My kids are the same way. As long as they ate good at the last meal I will let them have one.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:22 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• How much does he drink? Often when somebody wants to snack a LOT it is actually a need for liquids rather than food. Hunger & thirst signals can get crossed in the brain.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2010