How do I share parenting with my soon to be husband?

I have been with my SO for almost 7 years, and we have a 2 year old daughter. But we don't live together, and never have. He lives with his mom, and I live with our daughter.

We are talking about getting married, and I'm all for it, but I'm not sure how it will be raising our daughter together in the same home. I have been the main parent in our daughter's life since she was born.

How do I "share" parenting with my SO while we're living in the same home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• well...my dh and i moved in together my son was 3...i decided that he has just as much say in everything as i did. If one parent has more power than the other then the other will be the stepping stone (imo)
    if you don't like something your dh does then its probably something he has seen you do and you shouldnt be doing either if you don't like seeing the other parent doing it (spanking or yelling) parents should be equal in child care as far as i'm concerned
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• That is such a wierd set up, I don't even know how to tackle that. What were the reasons for not living together, and don't say you weren't married, because you've obviously had sex! lol
    Anonymous

• Why hasn't her dad been a big part of her life this entire time if you were together? Why would this be such a big change besides the fact that he sleeps there. I don't know this sounds strange and suspicious. Regardless I say take it really slow it's going to be a big change for her to not have mommy to herself all the time.
    Anonymous

• OP

Well, he tends to be the "fun" parent- he and our dd like to play together-rough-housing, etc. I tend to be the "structured" parent-the one who keep our routine, etc. She sees him a couple of times per week because of his work schedule (he works the graveyard shift, so he sleeps most of the day), so she doesn't listen to him as well as she does with me. But overall, they have a fantastic relationship.
    Anonymous

• Marry him and start the adjustment
    Anonymous