Finding an affordable sewing machine

I want to start sewing so bad right now. Im going to be out of work for awhile and I was thinking I could possibly get into sewing crafts and clothes for the kids, or making things to sell....but theres no way I can afford a sewing machine...besides good will anyone know where to check for one?! A Used one would be great but I dont know where to start looking!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I actually bought several machines at Big Lots for the sewing classes that I teach. They were $150 machines, for $79 with the sale price and added coupon that I had. They also had several features that I recommend looking for when my students ask. The Brand was White, which is an old brand like Singer....although they're both made in asian countries at this point.

I'll send you my list of what to look for when shopping for a machine. if you send me a message, I can't just message you since you posted anonymously.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:01 PM on Mar. 25, 2010

• craigslist? Google for sale sewing machines and see what you get.
    Anonymous

• you can get a decent machine new for around $100, mine is the brand Brother, and that's about what it cost. Try posting on craigslist, or put an want-ad in your local newspaper. Keep an eye out on e-bay, you might find a really good deal there. Check with sewing and fabric stores in your area, some will sell used or re-conditioned machines
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 12:03 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would look on freecycle. I got a good used machine there that just needed to be tuned up.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2010