TROUBLE POTTY TRAIN MY SOON TO BE 3 YR OLD.

I AM HAVING A HARD TIME POTTY TRAING MY YOUNGEST, SHE WELL BE THREE NEXT MONTH AND SHOWS SIGNS SHE WANTS TO BE POTTY TRAINED BUT WHEN I GO TO PUT HER IN UNDER PANTS AFTER POTTING SHE GOES IN THE PANTS AS WELL, OR SHE WELL GO IN THE SHOWER IF SHE IS TAKING A SHOWER AFTER WORDS. I TRYED THE BRIBERY THING BUT IT DOESN'T SEEM TO WORK ON HER. HE DAD REALLY WANTS HER OUT OF DIAPERS ALREADY SO I REALLY NEED SOME GOOD WAYS TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN. HER SISTER WAS POTTY TRAINED BEFORE SHE WAS TWO AND DIDN'T EVEN USE PULLUPS AT ALL.

WahyaLuna

Asked by WahyaLuna at 9:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I used a little twist on the bribery (which my husband deemed torture :-)), but we used the m&m method. 2 for #1 in the potty and 5 or 6 for #2. BUT, if he went in his pants then mommy, daddy or someone else in the house got to eat his m&m's. You have to do it in front of them though (this is where the torture comes in). A three year old will do anything to keep you from eating their candy :-)... It worked like a charm. Two weeks later and he was completely potty trained and about three weeks later we didn't even need m&ms anymore! Good luck
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 9:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• There are many kids who are simply not ready at your daughter's age. Remember that no two children are the same. I would give her a break for a couple of weeks and then try again. Good luck!
    TRooney

Answer by TRooney at 9:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• All I can tell you is GOOD LUCK! She will do it when she is ready, dont make her stress or she will resist. As long as she has mastered it by age 5 she is on target. Any where from 2 through age 4 is normal. Just relax and dont rush her!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Hi! Okay, so this is what I did with my daughter. She was almost 3 as well...Bought a piece of posterboard, markers and "encouraging" stickers. You know, that say "Great Job!" or "You did it", the kind teachers use in elementary school when I was still there. I made a giant calendar for the month we were in, wrote her name all big on the top, let her color and design it herself, and then each time she potty she got to put a sticker on that day(make the days big enough to fit them). It really only took about a week, but we filled the calendar. Also, my kids don't get a ton of candy, so she was excited for this part...every time she went #1, she got 1 tootsie roll. When she went #2, she got 2 of them. She didn't get any candy throughout the process except for the tootsie rolls so she wouldn't get confused and just think that she could have it whenever she wanted. It was very successful in the end. Good luck!!!!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 9:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• She's not ready. From what it sounds like, she's just not ready. You can hand her the world, covered in chocolate sauce and sprinkles, but if she's not ready, then she is not ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2010