cant find heartbeat???

I went to the dr today because i was leaking pink mucus, the dr said everything looked fine until we did the ultrasound. Im supposed to be 9w 3d but the baby measured 8 weeks and he didnt see or hear a heartbeat. He said to wait till next week and come back to see if there is any change but if not I will need a Dnc or whatever they call it. I want a 2nd opionion because he barley even looked for the heartbeat (less than 5 min) my aunt is a ultrasound tech and she said there are a number of reasons he may have not seen it. I am trying not to freak out till next week but it is very hard. I still have morning sickness and stuff and im not bleeding or cramping. Has anyone ever had a positive thing come out of somthing like this????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• That is exactly what happened to me and I am sorry to say that my baby had passed.. I hope he was wrong but be prepared if he wasn't! gl and hugs
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 9:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• It you are that far along and there is no heartbeat then that is what it is, I am sorry. Just stay clam and wait for the next ultra sound.
    Good luck I hope they see it this next time
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• 8 weeks is NOT that far along. a lot of doctors around here won't even see you until you are 10-11 so they can find the heartbeat easier good luck
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• aby's Heart Beat
    Your baby's heart will begin to beat in the first trimester. Typically this cannot be heard with even a Doppler until the 9-10th week of pregnancy at the earliest, sometimes not until the 12-14th weeks of pregnancy. A baby's heart beat, often called fetal heart tones (FHT), is very rapid, much faster than an adult's. In fact it starts out near 180 beats per minute (BPM) and around 12 weeks gestation settles into the normal range of 120-160 BPM for the remainder of the pregnancy
    http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/pregnancyphotos/l/blheartbeat.htm
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I wouldnt wait a week, I would want another ultra sound now
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• hang in there mama your in my prayers
    eva123

Answer by eva123 at 9:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• ColtsFan1912
    She had an ultra sound, With a transvaginal ultra sound we saw our babies heartbeat at 7 weeks.
    You are right no you can't hear it with doppler but it is visable by transvaginal ultra sound.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• another ultrasound now would give you the same results you have so far, but waiting a week is perfect bc at that time he should be able to find the heartbeat with little to no problem. what if your second opinion says that you've miscarried already? would you want a third then? it sounds like you just don't like the news and i don't blame you. i was in this position too and went back for my u/s and found that sac had started to collapse and there was no fetal pole to be seen. i hope it works out for you.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I think it's so cruel for a doctor to make a woman wait a whole week to find out about her baby's well-being. Totally sucks.

I hope everything works out for you, and I will pray for you as well.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I just want to share my experience. I do wish all the best for you, but I think you need to hear this. Just so you can prepare yourself if it doesn't turn out how you hope. Again I do wish the best for you though.

I was supposed to be 9 weeks pregnant, but they couldn't hear the heartbeat at my first OB appointment. I had an ultrasound that next day and they couldn't see the heartbeat. The heartbeat is easy to see, as it is a black shadow pumping away inside the baby. I had to have a D&C, which is a Dialation and Curtage. I had miscarried. I hadn't bled beforehand, I had no cramping, I still had morning sickness even after finding out I had miscarried. Some bodies refuse to do as they're supposed to when they miscarry.

I do hope that things turn around for you and your baby is just fine. All the best to you and your family!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2010