my husband wants me to go back to work

i have been home with my girls for the last three yrs and i am not quit sure if i am ready to go back to work. my oldest is in preschool twice a week and my youngest is to young for school and we can't afford daycare or a baby sitter right now. my inlaws said the would babysit but they are in their 60's and not in the best of health. i have no clue what to do. my husband acturally told me that it was more important for me to get a job then it was for our daughter to be in preschool. i can use some advice.

WahyaLuna

Asked by WahyaLuna at 9:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• Can you get a good paying job? If so, it may be worth it. If not, calculate clothes, transportation and an emergency nanny if the inlaws can't do it and see what you come up with. Might not be terribly cost effective. My husband wants me to work too but two hours of after school care for two kids is 450 a month. Add parking to downtown or the bus (a time issue) and lunch and some clothing obligations and it wouldn't be a huge amount to make it worthwhile for me.
    Anonymous

• What! Why does he feel that way? Do you need the money to live? If so it's understandable but if not I don't see the point. The time that you're spending with your girls is priceless and you can never get it back.
    Anonymous

• Is he not making enough $ to pay the bills? or is it that he's not making enough to pay the bills AND buy the junk he wants? If he can't pay the bills on just his income, you suck it up and get a job, working opposite shifts from him if necessary. Sure, your girls are your world and all, but if you lose your house or car or don't have power, what the heck are you gonna do?
    Anonymous

• If you need the extra paycheck in the home, then yes you should go back to work. Preschool to me is just a prep course for kindgarten. It isn't actually needed. Although for some children (shy, children with learning disorders, etc) it is helpful. It is not a neccessity. If your family needs that extra money, then yes you should get a job to support your family. Keeping your family afloat financially is more important then your daughter in preschool.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I agree w/ both above answers. I would wonder why he wants you to work. If money is that tight and you have to travel to and from and eat lunch out, it might not be cost effective to work if you are just going to make minimum wage.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I agree with the above posters as well. If you guys can't pay the bills, or if you are living paycheck to paycheck making the bare minimum to survive, than yes I think you should get a job. However, if you are doing just fine financially and there really isn't a point in you getting a job and having to find a babysitter for your kids, than I wouldn't. Ask him why he feels this way if you don't already know.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• well he works at walmart in the tire lube express and and average check for us is 465 every two weeks he is getting a 90 cent raise in may. he just has many habits that he can't afford on his own. he smokes which is gross.! he does he before he comes home and when he is going to the bus top. he had to get a really nice cell phone that is a touch screen and opens to a keyboard. which i think he said the first bill was going to be 110 dollars then he gave me his old prepaid phone. when he has the money he well put time on it for me to talk to my family since i am not allowed to touch his. and he is addicted to play the compture game called war of warcraft, and has to by a game card for it everymonth so he can play.
    WahyaLuna

Answer by WahyaLuna at 10:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• How about babysitting or a home business that you would work from home? Then you could make money and take care of your kids ???

I know of a few legitimate ones if you're interested. Home businesses do require a start up fee and you do have to work it like a real job in order to make money, but you could do this and still take care of your kids.

That's what I do. I made my start up money back in my first 2 weeks and quit my part time job within the first month.
    message me if you would like some info.

MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 2:36 AM on Mar. 25, 2010

• Hopefully, you have kept in touch with your former coworkers, and other business associates.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2010