My boss just said he is letting 15 people go. Was this a good idea?

My boss just told us that if he cut employees by 15 by 2014, he would be under the 50 emplyees needed to pay for healthcare. So, he is raising those who get to stay salaries once the lay offs occur. Of course workload will be more. We are a sales based company. He basically said it was survival of the fittest. The best sales people get to stay. Are they for real with this insurance shit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Welcome to the new improved USSA.
    Anonymous

• I would suspose it is a good idea for him or he would not have done it. Your co. won't be the first.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Why would you call BS? This is a legit question. Get some more wine and calm down.
    I agree with your boss. It is what I would do.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 10:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• This is exactly what is going to happen to ALOT of people. Business owners are going to be cutting jobs to stay under the 50 employee mark. This won't be the last you'll see of this. Add that to the list of horrible things this new healthcare system is going to do.
    Anonymous

• And for you people calling her BS...in case you didn't know, which I'm assuming you don't since so many of you are uninformed about the new healthcare details, small business owners that don't offer insurance for their workers will be fined $2,000 PER EMPLOYEE over 50 employees. So let's say a company has 70 employees. They will have to pay $40,000 in fines! In which case it would be much smarter for them to just fire 20 ppl.
    Anonymous

• Businesses will have no choice but to lay off folks, they can't afford the new taxes and penalties...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• To quite Joe Wilson

YOU LIE

and BTW, my hubby and I  former jobs went out of business at the end of the Bush Years....so...was THAT a good idea??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Many small businesses are weighing their options... They have till a few years to make the necessary changes needed to protect the interest of their business. I would imagine every business near that 50 employee cut off is heavily considering what their oinions may be...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• sweet akins you simply don't make sense. It is a numbers thing. It is non partisan. It isn't about Obama. Simple math.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 10:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Unless your a huge corporation and make super duper money I dont see how these business can employ these people and maintain health insurance for them to. Instead of firing people they just need to downgrade and maybe see if they can put these people ina company with fewer employees.
    Anonymous