When do kids get the concept of in a little while?

When I ask my almost 2 year old what he wants for lunch he expects lunch right that second. Or when I tell him we have to get him ready for daddy to pick him up he wants to go wait outside right then.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sorry but....Never, their world is in the NOW.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I agree with qanda...Never :D Be more specific with him. I am going to make lunch after we finish playing with our playdoh, what would you like> Then when he asks when remind him of what you said.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• sorry but NEVER... My mom tells me "in a while" and I am 25 and still bother her even when she says it.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Haha Never!!
    howardsmom

Answer by howardsmom at 1:17 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Try giving him a list of things that have to happen. Like mommy has to get out the bread, then the ..., then use the knife to..., then put it all together, then cut it, and then you can eat it. That way he can follow steps. IDK, sometimes it works for my eighteen month old. Especially if we are going outside and we are getting ready... first we have to put socks on, pants on, shirt on... blah blah... she usually gets excited about those tasks and starts picking up the items.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:41 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I agree with Bellarose0212. "In a little while" is too abstract a concept for another couple of years. Giving a short sequence of events helps. I limit how far in advance I tell my son about things just to avoid this problem (unless it's something I know he needs lots of advance notice on to "prepare" himself..). I use a few standard phrases with my son like "in 15 minutes", "in 5 minutes", "in 2 minutes". While he doesn't know how long that actually is, he knows 15 minutes is pretty long, 5 minutes is less and 2 minutes means something is going to happen soon. You can also use milestones like "when this show finishes", when daddy gets home", etc that the child is familiar with.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2010