5 Month old does not like babyfood/cereal

Any suggestions... My 5 month old really does not like to be spoon fed anything. He spits and gags when I try to feed him baby cereal and baby foods. I have tried vedgies and fruits! Help :)

JackJacksMomma

Asked by JackJacksMomma at 10:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they dont really need "food" until they are 12 months old-- so just keep giving him bm or formula
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I would stop trying and wait a month or two and try again. We started my daughter at 7 months and she's really not that into it, yet, either. She's very interested in the spoon, though.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I understand he does not "need" food. He is just not sleeping well at night and would really like to be able to feed him cereal before bedtime as I did with my first son. Desprate for sleep! My first son was waking only once at night by 3 months. This one is up 2-3 times a night to feed.
    JackJacksMomma

Answer by JackJacksMomma at 10:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Well your baby is still young enough to go without solids, and is showing signs of not being ready for them yet. I'd just wait a week or two, then try again.

This is a good link about introducing solids to your baby: http://www.babycenter.com/0_introducing-solid-foods_113.bc

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• That means he's not ready for them. Every mother here understands sleep deprivation, so don't take it wrong when I tell you that you just need to deal with it. He's not ready, and forcing it on him is not going to help.
    Anonymous

• Cereal or solids really don't make them sleep longer. And if your baby isn't ready, it could cause stomach upsets and bad gas and you'd get a whole lot LESS sleep. I think you were exceedingly fortunate with your first!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My daughter hated baby cereal. Absolutely balked at it like no tomorrow. I think it was because it was so bland. Yuck. So we skipped the baby cereal and went to pureed fruits and veggies.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Solids don't make them sleep. Being ready to sleep longer makes them sleep...what YOU do matters not at all. Baby is making it clear he's not ready for solids.

Your survival strategy: Dump that which is not needed to live right now. I humbly suggest dishes and laundry. If anyone complains, hand 'em a mop.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Babies NEED to start solids around 6 months. Formula or breastmilk is NOT enough. Babies can develop anemia, ftt and other medical problems if they are not fed solids. Your child can also be taken away from you by cps.

The World Health Org. and LLL suggest starting solids around 6 months. Babies don't need to be fed baby food and most of it tastes bad. Babies can feed themselves fork mashed food. Banana, sweet potato, and avocado are recommended as good first solids. Meat is good to start soon after as a good source of iron.

www.kellymom is a breastfeeding site that has starting solid info that would also be good for formula fed babies.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:42 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Have you tried to make the cereal super thin and watery? Maybe that would help. My kids hated rice cereal but really liked the oatmeal cereal. You might've already tried that. I would say if he doesn't eat it after trying all that to wait a few weeks & try again like other people suggested.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2010