Would you start a new business or hire new emplyees in the United States?

It’s the economy, so why are employers not hiring and still shedding workers? Let’s look at recent developments.

Unemployment benefits extended, again. Who pays for those people not to work? Employers!

Unemployment insurance rates that employers must pay per employee have increased to astronomical rates because congress continues to extend benefits; costs for employing are up.

Minimum wage continues to increase do to electioneering antics by congress. Unemployment for youth and minorities (people entering the work force) is at record levels; costs for employing are up.

Employer’s payment of Social Security benefits looks like an upward trend here, also; costs for employing are up.

Government intervention in your business via ethnic diversity, OSHA and the IRS or any other tax division when a current employee becomes disgruntled and decides to make his employer suffer; costs for employing are up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Let’s add the current health care bill where employers will be mandated by law to provide health insurance for employees; costs for employing will be up even more.

Now, suppose you have a great idea for starting a new business and you are looking at these conditions. If the business requires employees, would you start it in the US?
    Anonymous

• No, no, and no! I would be insane to start up a business in this environment!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• My husband started his business in December of 2007. He's not doing great, but in many ways we are a lot better off than we were when he was working for someone else. He has much more flexibility and I am now able to work full-time because of that. We figure, if he can get his business established and keep it going through these tough times, then things will be just fine later. Of course, he no longer has an employee. He had to let her go, and now I help him when I can. We are different though, he is an accountant and he can do all the work on his own (though it was easier to get more done with an assistant). I don't think I would want to start up anything that relied on hiring a good number of people.

Anonymous

• Yes
    Anonymous

• Nope.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Hell no, I would go to a country in Asia and start a sweat shop! I would only pay the women and children who worked their ten cents, if that, for every product they put out! Sick? Too bad! Hurt due to unsafe work conditions? Too bad! Gotta go to the bathroom? Too bad! Complaining? Get out! We have someone else who desperately needs to feed their family that is willing to work! Too hot in the sweat shop? Too bad! Heatstroke and dehydration? Throw 'em out the back!

And I could make a shitload of money by selling each product for 100% more than what I paid to have the product produced! Man what an original idea!
    lilystar

Answer by lilystar at 11:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I started my business in Sept 2008. It has been slow, but it is steadily growing. This year is already going well. We planned for a slow economy and have been smart with managing expenses. It's possible.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 2:22 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Yup, I'm in the process right now of buying another business. And No, I will not hire anybody but myself and my kids. I'm not doing it to make money, I'm doing it to shelter money to pay almost nothing in taxes. Gotta love the writeoffs.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:32 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Still in business and have brought back my employees this month. I am small and minority (female) owned so I am not hurting at all. 100% of my work/business is based on government work and contracts.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 7:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2010