Starting to use cloth diapers

Hey moms. I'm thinking of switching to cloth diapers and have a few questions. How many cloth diapers should I plan on getting (for my 2 month old)? How many covers do I need? What kind of covers are your favorite? what do I need to do to prepare them? Anything special about washing them? I'm sure I'll think of more later but that is a pretty good start. . . Thanks for the help

chrissmom734

Asked by chrissmom734 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It really depends. I rotate four thirsties covers. I lauder them when they get poopy. I like them because the leg gussets really contain runny breastmilk poo. I wash with the diapers and hang to dry.

How many cloth diapers you need really depends on what kind you have and how often you want to wash and what kind of "eliminator" your baby is. I wash every two or three days, but I use prefolds and flats (the cheapest and easiest to launder). 3 dozen is workable. More is more comfortable..

Join the cloth diapering mamas group.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Thanks Amileegirl. I have to worry about the breastmilk poos too.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• right now we have 26 diapers. we don't have covers, we buy one size pocket diapers that way you don't have to worry about them growing, the way they snap allows for many different sizes. i believe it's about 6 lbs up to 35lbs. but they are more expensive then prefolds, but i could never get prefolds to stay on tight enough. we wash them every 3 days, our son is a year though and he doesn't potty as much as a little baby. but when he was little with the same size stash was had to wash every other night. to prepare them once you buy them you usually just wash and dry them a couple times. and when you wash them you will probably want to use an all natural phosphate free detergent, but if you don't then after you wash them, (wash on hot) you will want to do an extra rinse cycle so you can make sure the residue from regular detergent doesn't build up in them. and then just dry. and if you get stains, sun them to remove stains.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 11:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I wash every other day. I have 18 prefolds, 10 pocket diapers, and 1 fitted diaper. My daughter pees like a champ and at 7 months if I had fewer than that, I would need to wash every day. When she was 2 months I didn't have the pocket diapers, yet, and had 30 prefolds and 6 fitted diapers. The prefolds I like are from Little Lions or Diaper Junction. Diaper Junction has more sizes past the preemie, infant, and standard size. I have four covers at any one time. I will rotate two at a time and if one gets poopy, add another to the rotation. I will wash the non poopy ones maybe every other wash. To prepare, I just wash them on hot with a tiny bit of soap and an extra rinse. For normal washing, I do a speed wash, cold water, heavy soil with 3 squirts of Bac-Out, then a permanent press wash, hot water, normal soil, extra rinse with a tiny bit of ECOS free and clear soap. I have a front loader.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Oh, and the covers I use are Thirsties covers and I LOVE them. We have had leaks occasionally but very rarely. Maybe three times in the 6 months we've used them. We did disposables the first month.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My laundry routine is simple. Extra long wash on cold (i just reset the dial before the rinse) with slightly more than 1/8 cup of 7th generation delicate, 2 tbsp washing soda, and 1-2 tbsp of ecover non-chlorine bleah/sodium percarbonate (the active ingredient in oxyclean). Vinegar in the rinse. If I want to rewash for a stain issue, I rewash my unbleached prefold with a load of whites or baby clothes so I don't waste water. Once a month I do a maintenance wash with hot and a few drops of tea tree oil.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2010