Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support....

What's the process for getting child support? The father is on the birth certificate.... I am wonderring how long it takes, and if you actually have to go to court to get it. I live in NY.


Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • In Iowa I didnt have to go to court...went to Child Support Recovery, filed papers and it started being taken out of his paycheck about a month later. I have to pay them $25 a yr. to do that. When I recieved public assistance(cash) for 3 months to get back on my feet the support went to the state. After I got off assistance they started charging me to collect it.

    Answer by mbc324 at 12:14 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

  • Go to your county courthouse and tell them you would like to file the papers for child support. Once you do that someone will meet with you to get information and then the father gets served with papers, then there is a court date

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2010