Why do they say not to wake sleeping baby??

What if you need to feed them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When we were in the NICU the doctors told us never to wake a sleeping baby to feed them. When they are sleeping, is when they are growing. They need their sleep.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• They get to the point where they don't need food at night...they start sleeping through the night, and the worst thing you could do is wake them up and feed them, so they are dependent on those feedings. If my child sleeps, then she sleeps, if she doesn't then I feed her. But by interrupting them learning to sleep through the night on thier own, you interrupt them learning on thier own, and avoid problems with them sleeping at odd times etc.
    Anonymous

• MY ped told me to wake my daughter to feed her, and a whole bunch of other boloney. Then I switched docs and listened to my mom. Babies will wake up when they are hungry. I had a hard time when my daughter was born because the doc told me to wake her up to feed her. Well I did and she had a hard time gaining weight because she would throw it up because I was essentially force feeding her. Trust me they will eat when they are hungry, now if they go several hours then you need to wake them, but I doubt it. They will wake up. Also, they tell you not to wake them because they need their rest to grow and they will be pissed if you wake them.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 11:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Generally, babies know how long they want/need to sleep, during growth spurts they sleep a lot more. However, an excessively sleepy baby needs to be woken to eat especially if they aren't gaining weight or aren't producing enough wet diapers, or are jaundiced, or when establishing a breastfeeding supply in the early weeks. I'd be okay with my six month old sleeping more than 5 hours, but wouldn't have been okay with that when she was newborn or even three months old. That's a recipe for mastitis. She slept 7 hours ONCE and I woke up in serious hurt and I hardly slept -- it was a growth spurt.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I didn't read the previous posts, so I could be repeating. Babies need their sleep, and so do you, Mom. If the baby is hungry, they will wake up and let you know. If you are nursing and are getting full and the baby isn't waking up to eat, just pump and store! It's great to have that milk in the freezer for when you need it later on down the road!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 11:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• If it is during the day...and baby doesn't sleep too good at night. Then, by all means, wake the baby and feed it. At night is different, you can let them sleep.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i wont wake up a sleeping baby cuz when u do,they wont stop crying and it'll be hard to calm them.trust me i know.NEVER wake up a sleeping baby!lol.
    Jayzwife

Answer by Jayzwife at 11:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• When you wake them they're cranky, refuse to go back to sleep, etc.
    I never woke my children to feed them. They'll wake and tell me when they're hungry. Children won't let themselves go hungry, so they will awake and let me know when they're hungry.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I woke mine during the day if he slept over 5 hours. He wasn't overly cranky because I was ready to feed him. If I let him go...He would be super cranky. I still satnd by, daytime and sleeping at least 5 hours, wake them. Nighttime, NO!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• The only time I woke my daughter when she was sleeping to feed her was when she was first home and was on the bili-light for jaundice. Two reasons. One, jaundice makes them lethargic. Two, if they're jaundiced you want to nurse nurse nurse. The more they eat, the more they poop, and the sooner they get rid of the bilirubin. I also woke her to feed the very first time she slept nine hours straight. I woke up in the morning half soaked in breastmilk and my boob was like - FEED HER NOW! LOL.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:17 AM on Mar. 24, 2010