At a Loss for dealing with Overly Dramatic 10 year old son

My very intelligent 4th grader has decided that he hates school, is rotten at doing homework and projects, to the point where he won't even try. It is like pulling teeth to get him motivated to work on anything. A typical night ends in me yelling and him crying. This has come about rather suddenly. I've met with his teacher and the counselor at his school. Nothing has happened at school or here, and he is adamant that nothing is going on. WHAT SHOULD I DO???

Mamasez

Asked by Mamasez at 10:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• It's puberty. His hormones are starting to make him angsty and difficult. You stay on him and make him do his homework. You take all his privileges and he earns them back by turning in his homework every day. So no TV, no video games, no computer time, no phone, no playing outside or going to spend time with friends, nothing until his homework is complete. Once he has earned back all his privileges, you take them away again if he slips.

He won't like it, you won't like it, but one day he will thank you for making him learn :)

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Get him a tutor or get him in some after school programs that will help him with homework. Try inviting a classmate over if they live close so they can do home work together.
    Anonymous