How do they know???

I find animals amazing. We've had our cat (a rescue we found almost starved to death) for almost two years. She's a very affection cat, but really mostly affectionate towards my husband. She's pretty much "eh, whatever" in attitude towards me. Always has been. Until now.

Ever since I got pregnant, she's become more and more affection towards me. She now wants to cuddle with me, nuzzles me, lays at my feet when I sleep... I honestly think she knows that I'm pregnant and is bonding with me because of it. I know she had kittens before we found her (we're pretty sure it's why she was abandoned, because when we found her, it was obvious she'd had kittens at some point in the not too distant past but was no longer lactating), so I think she knows and has made this connection.

Does that sound totally crazy, or actually plausible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My dogs were like that with all of mine. Even animals that I didn't really know, or didn't belong to me, my mom's cats, etc. They were all like that too.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• i agree. my kitty did the same thing but three years after the kids were born, she just couldn't deal with them.
    Anonymous

• They do know!! My dog was super-lovey (more than he already is!) while I was pregnant, and the cats ALWAYS wanted to lay on my stomach - but they would go about it so carefully, tiptoe onto me, and curl up ever-so-cautiously :)
    I think they can sense the changes in your hormones and scent when you're pregnant.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 11:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Anon :28, luckily, the kitty has been around the now 3 year old, so I know she can put up with kids. :) She's really gentle with my daughter.

It's just so cool. The less "intelligent" animals seem to have the much neater abilities.
    Anonymous

• Animals do know, just as children know before they're told. Especially toddlers and infants.
    Whether you're aware of it or not your mood changes, the way you do things changes, and so on. The animals and other children catch on. Your cat does sense it and I believe that's why he/she is more affectionate towards you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• They know - you smell different now
    Anonymous