How should I respond to a verbally aggressive boss whose demeanour is intimidating and demeaning?

pinthemix

Asked by pinthemix at 11:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• with a lawyer.
    Anonymous

• Be an advocate for work place respect. Say what you feel in simple language.

"Please lower your tone with me. I'm a person. I'm trying to do my best. Your hostility is uncalled for."
    "Please don't talk down to me."
    "Please don't use crude language around me."
    etc
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• "Let's try to be professional about this."
    Can you complain to HR? Otherwise, start documenting any emails etc. Or tell him when he can speak to you like a professional you'd be more than willing to listen but you don't have to sit and take his verbal abuse. If you use the word abuse, you put him on notice.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• Whatever happens, keep your cool and your dignity. The more you do that, the more like a fool your boss will look!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2010

• I once told a past boss that I was an ASSET to the Company and if I wasn't treated with a little more respect I was going to quit.
    Now days it's just to easy to replace workers so maybe find out who his/her boss is and have a polite disscussion about about it.
    also
    You could just say, "you know what? respect is earned not given and I'm not seeing a reason to show you any respect"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Good luck. If you're in a state that has at will employment laws, there's nothing you can do. (I was actually verbally abused by one of my previous bosses and was told that there was nothing they could do. The company refused to fire him because he was the only psychiatrist they had.) Just keep your cool, try and use the phrases the women used above. But I'd start looking for another job. I ended up quitting that job because we were moving, but it was awful to work there - especially since some of my co-workers blamed me for the doctors meltdown (even though it wasn't his first and I'm sure it won't be his last).
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 4:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2010