Birthmark removal

My son has a slightly raised, nude color birthmark on his forehead. We are going to see a dermatologist about removal of it next week. If he thinks laser is an appropriate treatment, what are the chances he will do it that day, and what are your experiences with laser treatments? My son is 9 months old, will they sedate him? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My mom works for a dermatologist and she personally has had some laser treatments done on a dark spot she has on her cheek. I remember her telling me it was really painful and it scabbed up, peeled off, and was gone for about 2 months and then came back. As far as I know they didn't sedate her...so I doubt they would sedate a baby since apparently no one cares if babies feel pain because they are "too young to remember it."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• A child gets pain meds for circs now, so, I am sure he would get some. Thanks for bring a Debby Downer Anon.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• i wouldn't do anything like that. birthmarks add character, don't you think? what if sedation or pain meds are given and your baby has a bad reaction to that? wouldn't that be worse than having a birthmark? i would rather my kids make decisions like those on their own when they are adults. elective surgery is not good for a baby.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Happy2bmom25, (I'm the original poster) I appreciate your kind way of questioning our decision:) My husband and I have thought and prayed over this for quite awhile, and although we have definately thought of what you are saying, we feel that we would like to have it removed before he's old enough to realize all the comments people make about it (people in grocery stores asking "did you eat something orange?", other thoughtless comments). We (and the Dr) are also fearful because it is definately more sensitive than the normal skin on his face, it's like the skin is thinner there, so we fear what the sun may do to it! We don't vax, so we totally thought of the sedative situation, and other things they may put into his body... but we feel peace about our decision to go forward with the removal. Thank you for not bashing me though, and kindly questioning me - I really appreciate it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Read more about his type of birthmark before you go. Hear what the dermatologist has to say and then make your decision.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:30 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• good luck and the best of health to you and your family op!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 24, 2010