mastitis....

im positive i have it havent been to doc yet (yes i posted earlier about this) I had another question....is it okay that baby is eating from the infected breast? i believe it is but she seems to be having running poopies just recently and after she nurses on that boob.....and her poop has this strange smell as does my boob's milk from that boob.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes!!! Its fine. She cannot get an infection from it and it will actually help for you to keep that breast as empty as possible, so the more you nurse on that side the better! Ihave had mastitis twice. The first time was because my son was sleeping too long and I allowed my breast to become engorged which caused an infection. I was put on antibiotics. My second time I got it I made sure to nurse often on that side and keep my breast as empty as possible. I did not have to go on antibiotcs and it cleared up in a few days treating it naturally.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• KEEP NURSING HER FROM THAT SIDE:) You are doing the right thing ... I haven't suffered from it, but I know that draining the breast is the absolute best thing for it (and probably antibiotics too!), it definately won't hurt her. I'm not sure about the poopies, but it's important that she keeps nursing from that side. It's odd how our logic tells us that we shouldn't feed our babies from an infected breast, but it's truely the best thing to do. Good luck, give the Dr. a call!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• OP here. Thank you. that was another question i had actually- can it clear up on it's on? I've noticed since she has been nursing good on it that my fever reduced, gone away, soreness gone away, hardness and redness has gone WAY done..........now that I have doc tomorrow it seems like its going away! Should I still see the doc? Can't it come right back if it isnt gone completely? Or transferred to the other boob by her?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• well its up to you. If its going down on its own then you may just want to cancel, but if you are still worried than you may want to go and see what the dr says. iI personally don't like to take antibiotics unless is the last resort, but if your body is doing a good job at fighting it than you can just leave it be. Of course continue to take good care of yourself. Like drink plenty of liquids, nurse often, not letting your breast engorge, wear loose fitting clothing around your boobs etc. there is a lot of helpful info on www.keelymom.com and www.lli.org about breast infections etc.and preventions and treatments.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:49 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• The two most important things to do are bedrest and nursing often on that breast. If you get a fever or if it doesn't get better in a few days you may need an antibiotic.

The website is www.kellymom.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2010