What should I do to prepare myself for a pregnancy?

I want to start TTC 6 months from now and I want my body to be as healthy for a pregnancy as possible so that maybe we can cut our concieving time. Plus we want to give ourselves the best chance at a healthy pregnancy.

What should I eat?
What supplements should I take?

Any other advise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Eat alot of foods rich in Folic Acid, like citrus foods and iron rich foods like green leafy veggies. Folic Acid is very important though because if you don't have enough it can cause birth defects.
    Also foods with the highest level of pesticides are
    grapes
    tomatoes
    potatoes
    apples peanuts/peanut butter
    So try to eat these in the organic form
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Start taking prenatal vitamins now and have your DH start taking a men's multivitamin every day if he isn't already. It wouldn't hurt for the both of you to eat a healthy variety of foods, avoid alcohol, drugs, and cigarette smoke. If you are taking BC pills, stop taking them now so your body can completely clear itself by the time you want to concieve, and just use condoms for the time being. I have also heard that your husband should switch to wearing boxers and not briefs, because the briefs keep his jewels too close to his body, making sperm production slow down because the temperature is too warm.
    Anonymous

• just eat healthy fresh foods. Stay away from antibiotics (or foods with it... like some dairy products that may have it or meats), stay away from hormones (some meat and dairy has that as well). Maybe taking a multivitamin, calcuim and making sure you are getting enough protein in your diet. Excercise daily as well. Look into birthing options now and health care providers. Read "the womanly art of breastfeeding" (great book on breastfeeding!!!!).
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Everything they said... as well as no alcohol for either of you.. no smoking.. no drugs... if you take a pain killer only use tylenol... do everything you would do.. as if you were already pregnant
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:24 AM on Mar. 24, 2010