croup

best thing to do for a baby with croup?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cold air is the best treatment. It used to be though that hot steamy bathrooms helped, but they have found that it isn't helpful. If you live somewhere where it's still cool at night, wrap you LO in a blanket and step outside for awhile... the cool air helps with the swelling in the airway.
    The best medical treatment for croup if it's really bad is a Decadron shot, an epinephrine neb for a short term fix and Orapred for a few days after.
    If you child has strider even while resting or sleeping (the really loud breathing) then you should go in and have him/her looked at. If you only notice the strider with activity or with crying just keep an eye on it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My son gets croup alot. If it's cool out I'll open the window and then give him Prednisone and a breathing treatment to try to head off having to go to the ER. If I catch it early enough that usually works but if its already set in then I have to take him in to get a bigger dosage of Prednisone and stronger breathing treatment. We keep a constant supply of Prednisone and we have the breathing treatment machine since we have dealt with this so many times.
    jessicazeksmom

Answer by jessicazeksmom at 10:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2010