Breastfeeding- can't figure out what is causing the pain

my left boob is sore all over, this is seriously pretty bad pain wise. I though it was a clogged duct at first but I can't feel and lumps anywhere and I've gotten DS to mostly drain it and it still kills.

also when DS eats it hurts soooo bad especially around the nipple area (though my whole boob hurts too) I get more relief actually when I take him off.

Kalebs_mommy23

Asked by Kalebs_mommy23 at 1:25 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can get clogged nipple pores too.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:03 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• He is probably not latching on fully. If he feels this way take him off and try again. He may be just getting the nipple and not the whole areola. Also as far as the breast pain if you have aor can get a hand pump get it and take a hot shower and while in there massage and pump your breast and see if that helps. It may be a clogged duct you can't feel. If your nipple is irratated get some gel pads to wear in your bra when you are not nursing. Put the gel pads in the fridge first to cool them off. the really help soothe the nipple.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 1:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Maybe thrush... it can cause pain in the nipple as well as shooting pains through the entire breast. Or maybe mastitis.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:34 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• does the nipple part hurt more then the other part?

and i would take a hot shower and try to rub it like towards your nipple.. there is probably stuff backed up somehow.. thats all i can think..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:35 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• if you get original lipton tea packs and get them wet with cold or cool water.. put them on your nipples and let them sit for a while.. it feels so good
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:36 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Could still be a plugged duct even if you don't feel it or it could be Mastisis. Do you have a fever? Is there swelling or redness? http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022200.asp
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:37 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• It sounds like mastitis. The most effective treatment is bedrest and lots of nursing. If you get a fever or it doesn't get better after several days of bedrest then you may need antibiotics.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2010