having a colposcopy

i have had about 3 abnormal pap tests since i starting getting them done. the only positive one was when i was first pregnant with my last child who was just born in january. they did another pap at my 6 week check and it came back abnormal. i have hpv and now they are ordering a colposcopy.

i am absolutely terrified! i know its a common test but no other doctor has had me do one. i am really scared... should i be?

mrs_skittles

Asked by mrs_skittles at 1:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Health

• As I understand it, a colposcopy is an examination of the cells to see what kind of changes (cervical dysplasia) have taken place or if cancer is present. I think it is fairly normal after an abnormal pap, and I'm surprised your first docs didn't have you do it. Hang in there!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:34 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• They really aren't as scary as they sound. I have had 2 done. It feels like a pinch, its uncomfortable, but its not really painful. Take tylenol or motrin before the procedure if you are worried about pain. When I had mine done, they gave me pads afterwards because spotting is normal.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:39 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• That is my situation. I had 3 abnormal paps all back to back. I was refered to another doctor who did a Colposcopy. It doesnt hurt but it may be uncomfortable. I had my first done a month ago, unfortunately I had to have another done today as well as a biopsy.

As far as the colposcopy goes, dont be scared. Its like getting a pap smear. but with a few extra instruments.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 1:44 AM on Mar. 24, 2010