HOW TO DEAL WITH A 8 YEAR OLD.

MY 8YO IS HAVING BEHAVORIAL PROBLEMS AND IM NOT SURE HOW TO DEAL WITH THEM. IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS HE HAS WENT ON A DOWN HILL SPIRAL. HE STOLE FROM ONE OF HIS FRIENDS BROTHERS ONE NIGHT BECAUSE HE LIKED THE CARS AND WAS JELIOUS. A WEEK LATER HE TOOK SISSORS TO MY BED AND CUT A BLANKET AND SHEETS AND MATTRESS. SAID HE WAS PLAYING. HE HAS STARTED TO WET HIS PANTS AGAIN. I HAVE TAKEN HIM TO THE DOCTOR AND THERE IS NO MEDICAL PROBLEMS. JUST LAZY I GUESS. HE WILL STEAL CANDY FROM ME AND SNEEK OTHER THINGS ALSO. HE DOES HAVE ADHD BUT I DONT KNOW IF THAT IS THE PROBLEM. I DONT KNOW HOW TO DISCIPLINE HIM ANY MORE. HAVE TRIED TAKING AWAY THINGS, GROUNDING, SPANKINGS AND NOTHING WORKS, TIMEOUTS CHORES NOTHING ANY ADVISE IS WELCOME.

CAMOMOMMY6988

Asked by CAMOMOMMY6988 at 1:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wow! I think the problems are psychological. I hear what you are saying and do not think that you need more or better discipline but that your child needs help. He needs someone to talk to and to listen to him. He sounds like he is having severe emotional problems and he needs support. I would find him counseling... for both of you would be best but if you have a school counsellor available that might be a good route. Maybe even a "big brother" mentor. Give him a diary or a drawing pad and encourage him to express his thoughts or feelings in it. Give him one that is private, and one that he can use to express things TO YOU. Your child is expressing a need to you through his actions. Bedwetting is definitely not done out of laziness, its spurred on from emotional issues... which may root from any number of places. Be cautious not to punish for that or give additional embarrasment.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• First I would talk to him.  Take him somewhere there are no distractions and give him your undivided attention (possibly just a quiet restaurant for dinner).  Let him know you don't like what is occurring and is there something specific that is causing him to do so?  Let him know you are always there to LISTEN (so don't contradict what he says) just listen.  Ask him what HE is going to do about his bad behavior.  See the section on General parenting & discipline books  http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html   Also the link has  books for his age about Stealing (might help him understand because it is explained at his age level)

If you don't get it resolved fairly quickly, I would then talk to a counselor.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 9:56 AM on Mar. 24, 2010