Lavender dryer sheets in the crib?

I read somewhere that if you tuck a Lavender scented dryer sheet between the babie's crib and the mattress it soothes them and helps them sleep longer. Is this safe to do for my 3 month old son? Has anyone else tried it?

BlueMockingbird

Asked by BlueMockingbird at 1:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have never heard of it but I can't imagine it would do any harm unless your son has really sensitive skin or an allergy to it.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 2:47 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I've not heard of the dryer sheet, but taking two pieces of fabric and making a very flat pillow sort of thing with natural lavender in it.
    I'd think there could be too much artificial stuff in a dryer sheet for it to be good for them. Most of those things are pretty strongly scented.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Maybe if you run it through the dryer first so it's not strong. That gerber bedtime bath and lotion really worked for us. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Please don't do this. Check link below. Informed people don't even use dryer sheets because of the known toxic chemicals. Babies age 2-4 months are at the greatest risk for SIDS check national website for stats. Here is more info on dryer sheets. Also most peds say not to use fragrance on babies this young. I am not a fanatic I still mop with bleach and so on but this, to me goes to far.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/11476/dryer_sheets_health_hazard.html?cat=69
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:37 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't, your baby might have an allergic reaction too them or the scent could make it hard for them to breath. You could try putting a T-shirt you wore or a baby blanket you sleept with over night temporarly in the crib with the baby. It would have your scent on it which is very soothing to young babies and would help her to sleep. (Just be sure not to get the shirt or blanket to close to the face, you don't want the blanket to accidently cover her nose)

A bath before bedtime is also soothing, keeping the lights low and maybe playing some soft lullabies on cd. My dd use to like listening to a nature sounds cd that played soothing nature sounds and rain. Our bed time routine for the longest time was bath, nursing, and rocking in the chair while the cd played before I set her down. Worked like a charm.

Hope that helps some. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I agree that the chemicals are dangerous. That baby bath products and lotion like Gerber and even Aveeno cause me to have horrible sinus reactions. You don't want to expose your baby to all those chemicals.

Read what's in products before you use them in, on or around your children. The younger the child the more careful you need to be.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:20 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I'd be leery. And honestly? They sleep longer when their internal rhythm is ready for it. Nothing you do really makes a difference to THEM, it merely makes you feel as if you're doing something. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 4:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2010