"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

What do you think about this quote? Do you think it is valid now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Again I believe it is worse then before now.I also think we should not just settle because some others have been that way in the past.So what why settle? and for how long do you want to settle? Until someone declares themself dictator or king? They need to return to their rightful place which is serving US ..listening to US.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:04 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Personally I think it's been valid for a while now. Before Obama, before Bush, before Clinton,.......

I think there have been vain and aspiring men in the highest seats of our government for decades.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I think it is completely true at this time. While I think our government has been inundated with some vain and aspiring men for a long time (back to Teddy Roosevelt, at least....) the one we have NOW is almost socio-pathic in its narcissism. There has been an attitude of I'm this or that, so I get the best and the biggest for some time. Now we have the attitude of You are too stupid to know what is best for you, just stay out of the way and let ME fix things for all of you, the way that I think it should be.

It wouldn't be so bad, I think, if Congress could keep PBHO in check. Wasn't Pelosi supposed to have the most ethical Congress in history?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• yep
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Agree completely.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I think it was more valid with Bush in office.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Too bad- most of us want aspiring leaders-in all aspects of life. Do you want a lackadaisical, insecure banker, surgeon, astronaut or scientist? Not me. Vain? In what regard? Sounds like a rather antiquated term. Egotistical, YES!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:41 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Amen!
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 8:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• A person is nothing without it backers.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I think almost all, if not absolutely all presidents since Abraham Lincoln have fit this description, it's nothing new. Some of them just hide it better. Vain is maybe not the exact word, arrogant might describe it better. Government "of the people, by the people and for the people" has been obsolete for a long long time now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Mar. 24, 2010