Can I pump a couple times a day to keep my milk for a month then build it back up later?

I was put on a med for high blood pressure and it can have life threatening effects for the baby. I am really upset about not being able to nurse him. The only thing I could do is pump and dump for a whole month but that is so much. Especially since he is a preemie and has to be fed with a syringe. It takes about an hour to feed him one ounce. But I was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to pump and dump 2 or 3 times a day just to keep my milk and slowly switch back to breast milk afterwards? What do you think?

jenae_gist

Asked by jenae_gist at 3:05 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you may be able to find an alternatived med. www.kellymom.com may be able to help, you can talk to someone from La Leche League www.llli.org as wrll or see a lactation consultant (they most likely have some at the hospital.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• btw I don't recommend not pumping for a month...it will cause more problems than taking the time to pump and dump
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I already had to pump for every feeding anyways because his respitory rate jumps too high when he tries to nurse. It's too hard on him. Is it bad to pump vs. just nurse. I know it's easier/faster but what problems does it cause?
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 3:15 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• well, I never had a premie. If he can't nurse now than pump for him and try and avoid the bottle, using a syringe until he's strong enough to nurse on his own. I do remember though in the hospital with my first having to pump after every nursing session. He was jaundice and they wanted hom to get a certain amount of wet/poopy diapers. We used a syringe while he sucked my finger we would just drop a little milk reach time. I did not want to use a bottle because I didn't want anything interferring with his latch. It was hard work, especially at night, but it was well worth it :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:26 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Yeah my son is jaundice too and on oxygen. I am staying away from the bottle for the same reason. Thanks.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 3:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• no problem. I hope it works out for you and breastfeeding is a success. hang in there! message me anytime :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:37 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't recommend dropping down to that few pumping sessions. When you finally do try to get dupply up you'll be pumping ever hour on the hour. Check out lact-med and see if the med truely is not ok to take while BFing. Sometimes doctors say they aren't safe just to cover their own butts. Even my prenatal vitamins say "do not take while pregnant or breastfeeding" and they are prescription from my doctor! The Breastfeeding group has some super smart ladies and mods that can better answer your specific questions. Good luck, momma!
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 9:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would pump and dump a lot more often than that. I would pump about every 2-3 hours or else you won't have much of a supply after a month. Youc an always build it back up when you start BF, but it willbe harder.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would first make sure that there are truy those side effects for the baby. Look for a reliable source, such as Hale's. PDRs and package inserts do not contain complete information. If you can't nurse on that med, I would make sure there isn't an alternative. After that, yes, that is possible. It will be more difficult to get your supply back up, but it will also be difficult to pump 8 times a day. So, consider your family needs and go from there.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:40 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• i would still pump as much as you can...it may be difficult, but not impossible to build your supply back up later. try for every 4 hours maybe. i had a preemie, and while i was not on any meds it was very difficult to breast feed in the hospital. i found little to no support from the nurses, and the lactation consultants were truly awful, and were not pro breast feeding at all! my baby left the hospital after 26 days, and within 3 days he was exclusively breast feeding. it was a rough 3 days at home...but it was so worth it! i wish to you the best of luck and the best of health for you and your baby! do the best you can do to take care of yourself, and keep your stress levels as low as possible.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 24, 2010