Having a hard time getting my two yr old to eat!

My son just started about a month ago not eating very much during breakfast lunch or dinner he will eat junk if i give it to him but i cant get him to eat he always ate wonderfully before! Do you think somethings wrong or just a phase?

cutie_pie200619

Asked by cutie_pie200619 at 3:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Welcome to 2 lol, they become independant free thinking little people. As long as your child is eating throughout the day dont worry, keep making him come to the table at mealtimes and continue to offer food, this way it is still a routine. At 2 they get busy and dont have time to eat or actually dont want to make time to eat then suddenly they are starving and want food right this minute. It is a phase and it will pass as he learns that his tummy is rumbling at him. Also having snacks or 6 smaller meals is not a bad thing, it is actually better for everyone in general so unless he refuses food all together or starts to lose weight (not the skinny look kids get after a growth spurt, actual weight loss) then relax and let him feel it out on his own for awhile.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:57 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I agree. My son (who's now closing in on 3) could go days eating amazingly little and still race around. Then he have a few days where he'd eat anything he could get his hands on.. Don't make a big deal of it. However, my rule of thumb is to only offer healthy foods on days when he's not really hungry. Don't fall into the trap of offering junk foods just to get him to eat something. Despite appearances, toddlers won't actually starve. Plan what you're going to offer at a meal or snack, offer it and let him eat what he wants. When he's done, he's done. If he didn't eat a meal and is hungry again soon after, I sometimes give him the same food. That way he doesn't learn that he can skip a meal and get something "better" later. I've also found that for my son, limiting snacks means he eats better at meals. You'll have to experiment with that to see what works best for you.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2010