What are your feelings on using bribery to potty train...?

If someone had said it to me a year ago, I wuld've been like, no way - theres no need, blah blah.

But my kid is almost 3 now, and will NOT use the potty. I am thinking of using a reward system - maybe little chocolates..... is that really bad??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• No I dont think theres anything wrong with it. Ive heard of alot of parents doing the reward system early on. I myself did it with my DD. Whatever it takes to get them potty trained! Lol.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 5:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I dont think there is anything wrong with it either. sometimes a little bribe works the trick!LOL maybe a reward basket? with something besides candy for choices? most kids like too that they get choices in the reward so that is an added bonus and incentive
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:09 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• my feeling is... IT WORKS!!

I used M&M's. After a while my kids forgot to ask for the M&M reward and from that point on they just went to do thier buisness when they needed to.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 6:58 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Whatever works for you and your child! As long as you get your child potty-trained at some sort of reasonable age, I don't think it will matter HOW you got it done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• don't call it bribery, it is actually "positive reinforcement". When you think of it that way it doesn't seem as bad LOL
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:14 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I dont remember how I potty trained my own, as it was over 20 yrs ago...but I potty trained my great niece and we used stickers. (I babysat her all the time so I pretty much trained her) I had a piece of paper hung up by the potty chair that said "Jilly's Big Girl Potty Stickers" and every time she went potty, she got to pick out a sticker and put it on the paper. It seemed to work well with her. I didnt reward her with food or toys though...just stickers. By the time the summer was over the paper was FULL and she was trained!
    auntietotty

Answer by auntietotty at 9:20 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• hey i give my daughter mms for it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• We use potty stamps, like a stamp pad. We changed up what she got a stamp for as she progressed. SO, first it was sitting on the potty. Then, it was using it.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Personally I wouldn't do it BUT I didn't need to with my son so I can't say for sure that I wouldn't have if I had problems training him. I did give him high fives and positive reinforcement though. I do feel that giving "gifts" for doing something you are supposed to do is a little ridiculous, IMO he should be punished if he doesn't want to go on the potty and reallt why does he have the choice? You are in charge and frnakly if you keep giving him a diaper to go in why would he want to go on the potty?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• worked for me!
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 24, 2010