PLEASE HELP....my son is running temp of 104!

My son is cutting his top molars and hasn't slept good all night. I just took his temp after a cool bath and tylenol and his fever went from 102 to 104 in minutes. Is this just from teething or could it be something else?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 5:30 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Go to the ER, now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• First take all his cloths off. Helps reduce the fever. Then either call his doctor, or go to the ER. If it does not go down soon.

Answer by louise2 at 5:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Yes diff. go to the ER! I recently took my daughter in for a runny nose/cough and while at the doctor her fever went from normal to 104.3 and the doctor freaked out! They cked her oxygen level because of the fever it was 94 so they rush her over to the hospital. Sooo.. diff. take him to the ER. Hope he gets to feeling better!!
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 5:57 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• 104 in a toddler is ER time. dont stop GO TO THE ER
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:07 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• A parent should know to take there child to the er right away if there childs temp is that high. Sorry I dont mean to be rude but I for sure would not have been on here asking what you should do because in a matter of minutes he could start to have a seizure due to high temp.. When my son was 2 we had him in and out of the doctor for a week and they kept sending us home saying he had a virus and that he would just get over it. I kept a close eye on my son and one night he was so red and when I went to go check his temp. it was 105.6! My husband and I immediatly grabed him and drove him 30min. away to a special pediatric unit ER and on the way we had given him tylenol and he was pucking it all up. We were very scared and when we got there it got worse. They had to stick a cathader up him and that was probably the worst thing my son has had to go though so far and then an IV for fluids and xrays. After 6 or 7 hrs. we found out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• The cool bath caused the body's natural response to shiver which raises the body temp...next time don't do this. Take him to the ER...but he's most likely fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Cont... he had phnemonia. He took an inhaler and antibiotics plus ear drops and started getting better. So dont wait any longer take him please, you never know what it could be. GL and I hope he gets better soon.
    Anonymous

• Take him to the ER now don't even check this 104. is very serious! Hope he feels better soon.
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 6:28 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• OP: I am a first time momma so I wasn't sure what was going on with him. His temp is back to normal after an hour of medicine, luke warm bath and lovings from me and daddy. He was actually running around playing and laughing. I will be watching him closely though, but thank you everyone.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 6:29 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• :12 here.. Glad to hear it. We all freak out about fevers..just remember not to make him shiver its just something dramatic people would see on TV years ago and many people make the mistake. Next time don't hesitate to call your pediatrician, they have a response service for just this thing...put it on your speed dial for emergencies. In the event you do need to go to the ER your pediatrician can also call ahead and pave the way for you.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:40 AM on Mar. 24, 2010