is it safe to eat tuna?

I'm 8 weeks pregnant! Is it safe to eat tuna? I'm wanting a tuna wrap from jason's deli and i want to be sure it is safe.

MommaWilkes

Asked by MommaWilkes at 8:44 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i say yes i ate tuna everyday the beg of my pregnancy bc thats all i wanted besides fruit and i had a healthy baby no promblems. 9 lbs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• yes,just stay away from the raw stuff like in sushi
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:57 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Tuna is very high in mercury. I craved tuna during my first trimester and it took all of my will power to not bing on it. You can have 2 small servings of tuna a day and that's the max. You can have your tuna wrap today, just no more than 2 in a week. If you buy tuna at the grocery store, the white or albacore tuna is higher in mercury than the light tuna. So, don't even buy the white or albacore. Also, buy the tiny cans. You can have half a small can 2 times a week (that means no more than 1 small can for the whole week). The large can is more mercury than you should have for an entire week, so don't even buy it. Shrimp, pollock, salmon, and catfish are low in mercury and you can have up to 12 oz a week unless you've also eatten tuna during the same week.

The Mayo Clinic advises pregnant women to have no more than 2 servings of fish a week. For llight tuna it should be no more than 6 oz a week.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:24 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Information from the March of Dimes:
    Babies who are exposed to mercury while in the womb can suffer severe damage to the nervous system and may die. They may have brain damage, learning disabilities and hearing loss. Eating too much fish containing mercury can be a health risk. The risk is especially serious for a fetus.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:28 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I KNOW THE AFFECTS IT HAS! I JUST DIDNT KNOW IF TUNA WAS HIGH IN THAT CATERGORY!
    MommaWilkes

Answer by MommaWilkes at 10:16 AM on Mar. 24, 2010