How do I get my 3-year old to sleep in?

This might sound like a stupid question but I just don't know how to get my son to sleep in! Even when I put him to bed later he still either wakes up at the same time or earlier...I can't just leave him in bed, most of the time he has to go potty when he wakes up...ugh.

Here's a little back information. I'm not trying to get him to sleep in til noon, just 45 minutes or so longer. I'm fairly new back to work since my ex-husband kicked us out and my son LOVES daycare...but when he has time to play at home in the morning it makes daycare drop offs (and just getting out of the house) HORRIBLE! He gets a chance to play with HIS toys and doesn't want to leave.

Yesterday I decided to make the best of his early rising and play with him and spend time with him, that just aggravated the situation. I don't know how to get him to sleep in!

EBeauty03

Asked by EBeauty03 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter had this problem till we got her darker shades for her windows. Also maybe you could try putting a potty in his room so he can go if he has to but push that he needs to lay back down after. My daughter used to wake up at 5:30 and now wakes up around 8ish.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 9:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My kids always did that especially when they were in day care. They have to nap them. At three my kids didn't want a nap, they played.

First I would give the baby a drink early that way he don't have to go potty in the middle of the night. Sometimes kids don't need as much sleep and ever child is diffrent. Maybe not giving him a drink 1/2 before bed, or 1 hour before bed and having him potty right before bed time. If he is waking up early because of the potty. Congratulations-he is not wetting the bed. Let him know this is your last drink. My son no matter what is a early riser, but my daughters sleep a little later.

Also, while he is young. Set up a schedule and give him a sticker rewarding him for leaving for day care with out a fuss. Have the stickers climbed to an award-like a 99 cent car. That is usually is a great system. Good luck!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• We put aluminum foil on our kid's window.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• what time is he up?

my oldest and youngest are early risers and have been as long as I can recall - 7 am they're up. no matter how late they went to bed.

I'd start getting him up and make that routine - early rise, breakfast, play then you leave. keep it steady and consistent
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Please let me know if you find out. For us it has nothing to do with room darkness... she wakes up long before it gets light outside. We thought we were going to get a brief reprieve after the time change, but no, she started waking EARLIER rather than later. We've tried every trick in the book. 7am is an early riser? I'd give my left breast for 7am. Today it was 5:15. Ugh. We've been trying to make her stay in bed but she asks to go potty and takes a huge dump. We've been trying to get her to go lie BACK down in bed but we end up with a tantrum and she rooms with her little sister. Now we're experimenting with letting her get up, get a snack and her milk (we make sure everything's all set up), and watch a show or color by herself. So far it's working okay although I don't know if I'll ever be able to fall back asleep. At least I can lie in bed for a few more minutes and brace myself for dawn.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:59 PM on Mar. 25, 2010