Would you take your child to the doctor if...

My son had a little scratch in his ear that got infected. Last night it had green puss little blisters that looked like pimple surrounding it and his ear was all red and swollen. This morning it is looking much better. I am trying to decide if i should take him in just in case or is he will be alright...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• for my kids, any fluid that is "green" is a color that needs to be seen by the doctor
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:09 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• **That is if it isn't clearing up rapidly by the end of today** if it is still red and swollen tonight, set the first available appointment for it to be looked at.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 9:11 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Yes, green usually means infection and to be on the safe side. We always want to be safe, I would take him.

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Take him. When I was 7 yr old I had a tiny little blister on my finger from the monkey bars. It got infected and my mom doctored it up by cleaning it and putting on neosporin. I ended up with blood poisoning and in the hospital. Green puss is really bad. It may get better on its own, but with the puss being green and this injury being so close to his brain, I would advise going to the doctor. He probably needs an antibiotic to prevent blood poisoning.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would take him, especially with it being on the ear. You don't want the infection to spread, especially in that area.

Hope he feels better soon!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:15 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• i am far more conservative than most people here...since it is getting better, i would keep an eye on it and keep it clean. if it gets worse again, i would take him in. it sounds like he is on the mend! the human body is amazing and in most cases can do a better job in healing than an antibiotic! if you do end up going in and getting an oral antibiotic (they would probably give a topical cream, but you never know), then you should get some probiotics to counter them.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:19 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I am with you happy.. Some people are so quick to run to the doctor instead of using common sense. I like to self treat for most things and when I do take the kids to the dr,. they normally say the same thing I thought or was doing. Whenever the kids have a cough or flu my hubby is always like take them in and I say there is nothing they can do etc..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• There's a difference between treating a cold, the flu, etc at home, and not seeking treatment for an infection in the ear. Infection can spread, and it can cause problems with his hearing.

This is taken from http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/ears/ear_injuries.html#

"Cuts, scrapes, burns, or frostbite. When there's an injury (even minor) to the outer ear or ear canal, bleeding and infection can affect other parts of the ear."

end quote

In other words, an infection on the outer ear can spread to an infection in the ear, which, if left untreated can cause balance problems and even possible hearing loss.

I would take him into the Dr.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:00 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would make sure it is cleaned well and put some anti-biotic cream on it and see hwo it is tomorrow
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 11:24 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would drain it, clean it with peroxide, put an antibacterial ointment on it. As long as it is showing signs of improvement I wouldn't take him in.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2010