14 month old with one patch of dandruff?

My son had this weird patch of severe dandruff the size of a silver dollar on the top of his head. The scalp doesn't look red, and he's not scratching it.

We've been on a few different medications in the last months: Ciprodex, Augmentin, Rocephin, Vancomyacin, Motrin, and Tylenol.

Has anyone dealt with this? Can he use dandruff shampoo? I just want some input before I call the Dr about what is probably just dandruff.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• deffinitely cradle cap or excema just being on his head I would first assume cradle cap if that doesnt work you may need to try to some excema medicine or go to the dr for a perscription....for cradle cap use baby oil and masage the scalp a few times a day
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Sounds like it is either cradle cap, which can happen till a child is a few years old, or excema(sp). Dandruff wouldn't just be in one area or in a patch.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Sounds like cradle cap.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:17 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I didn't even think of cradle cap. He had one bout of it when he was maybe 2 months. We did the baby oil, and it didn't come back. Do you think I should try the baby oil, then call the Dr if it doesn't work or call the Dr first?
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 9:21 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• The doctor won't really be able to do anything. I used this stuff I bought at Walmart with like Winnie the Pooh on it from the baby aisle. It's called Cradle Cap Cream I think. Put some on before a bath and use a comb to help remove the scales and then bathe the baby.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2010