Can we still get prescription drugs from Canada under Obamacare?

My mother is not on medicare yet and she has rx that she orders from Canada pharmacies. Under Obamacare, is that still possible? She doesn't currently have health coverage and is trying to wait out her time until she can enroll in Medicare (she is a baby boomer). She is self employed but still makes under the poverty level, yet has to pay quarterly taxes and still has to pay more every April - go figure. Anyway, she orders some of her rx from Canada Pharms because they have generics way before we do. I understand that big pharma got a sweet deal and generics won't be available here until they have made a huge fortune on a brand name drug. Does Obamacare prevent us from getting better rx deals across the borders?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• So it says that it's already illegal but that the feds don't pay attention to it. now that Dr.s will have to report to the feds on how they are treating their patients, they will have a better handle on what drugs you are taking and where you are getting them. I am concerned that if their powers reach beyond what they already are that they could enforce the drug laws and all of those retired folks and the aging won't be able to afford their rx. As it is, many of them have to make decisions as to which meds are most important and let the less necessary one's (or sometimes most expensive ones) go by the wayside. I am just worried about my mother's health and don't want this bill to mess it up. She only has a couple of years to get through before she is on medicare, I just want her to be able to make it there.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• http://www.news-medical.net/news/20100315/Montana-Gov-seeks-to-buy-states-prescription-drugs-from-Canada3b-Settlement-reached-for-ground-zero-workers.aspx

Answer by older at 10:08 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Thanks older. That will be good for her when she finally can get on Medicare, but it doesn't do much to help her now.

So do we have to depend on our government to import drugs from other countries, or are we still free to purchase from across the boarders independently?  Does anyone else know?  I know that big pharma struck a deal with the health care bill and will make out like bandits, but I didn't know if there was anything written in about not being able to buy across borders. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=abzWU.GPNrjc&refer=us

Answer by older at 11:50 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• If anyone else has a link to a specific part of the bill that addresses rx drugs, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for the articles older, I think I need to see the actual text from the bill though.
    Anonymous

• http://docs.house.gov/edlabor/AAHCA-BillText-071409.pdf

Answer by older at 12:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2010