The Blind Side, political?

So I watched The Blind Side last night (and enjoyed it!) and when got on the computer this morning, I looked it up to see how others enjoyed it. I was shocked to see that the critics gave it a C. When I clicked over the the public ratings, they were mostly A's. What I didn't expect were all the digs towards the critics. I'll list a few for you, and we'll see if you agree or disagree with some poster's opinions.

1 - It seems some critics have difficulty putting their ideological blinders aside. This is a true story about a white, conservative christian family helping a young black man. Apparently, there are some people on the left, that are so locked into their stereotype views of conservatives and their anti-christian bigotry, that they resent a movie that shows their enemies in a positive way. And this emotional resentment keeps them from judging the movie objectively.

(cont)

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 9:40 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am very liberal myself and I LOVED the movie. I thought they actually made light of the politics (the tutor saying she was a democrat made me laugh out loud) and I didnt think anything of the fact that the family who helped him happened to be "Christian" or "Republican." I dont think this family speaks for all southern, biblical, conservative people at all and thought it was a touching TRUE story about how love and compassion can make huge differences in people's lives.
    And I certainly dont think that it even sheds a good light on white southern conservatives, just this family. If anything, the discrimination she faces from her lunch group and others in the town sheds a bad light on them.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 10:12 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• 2 - This movie is not at all political, especially not in a serious way, but it does make Christian white southerners look noble and respectable, which is pretty much guaranteed to get you an awful rating from critics.

3- It is interesting that the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times and the Washington Post all hate this movie, so that alone should be enough to recommend it. They just cannot stand to have a movie with a strong Christian family doing good, and with characters who are obviously conservative.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• 4 - Funny how the two worst critic reviews come frome the NYTimes and SF Chronicle. Says something doesn't it. Maybe if this were about a rich white liberal amercian who goes and helps the taliban because they are soooo misunderstood the review would be better. A story about a white christian republican family helping a youth in trouble is not worthy of accolades.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:47 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I don't care what critics thought of the movie, I loved it, I cried when he said that about his bed, ahhh. This movie did good in the theaters and she won the Oscar, so LIBERAL Hollywood did not discriminate because it was about conservatives!

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 9:54 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I loved The Blind Side. Our entire family went, kids, grandparents, aunts & uncles, and everyone fro age 10 to 78 enjoyed it.

I read the book, and it explains the family had to fight prejudice to do what they did. Some people didn't approve, others thought they were crazy. I never saw either the book or the movie as a political statement, though.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:00 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I LOVED that movie. In fact, I bought the DVD yesterday so I can watch it again and get that happy feelng. It is so heartwarming and inspiring. And I see nothing in it that has anything to do with anyone's politics. Nope. It is just about a good woman with a good family helping a young boy who was alone and had great potential. He was sweet and she knew he needed a family to believe in him. How wonderful!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 24, 2010