Baptizing a baby, what do you believe and why?

My husband and I disagree with this choice. I am against it, he's for it. What do you believe and why, biblical based answer please. Tradition does not apply, when it comes to this matter in my opinion.

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 9:48 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe, biblically, children were DEDICATED to God. People were baptized only when they were old enough to make the choice and publicly declare their love for God.

Good luck. I know it must be difficult to disagree on this stuff.
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I beilive in it. Baptism is for the forgiveness of sins. Although, babies don't really have any. I had both of my children Baptized within a few months after birth.

Best Wishes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I don't believe in infant baptism. We aren't born with sin, it says so in the Bible. We do not carry our parents sins, we don't carry Adam's original sin, we only carry our own. A baby is pure, without sin. The Bible tells us to be baptized in Jesus's name, immersed in the water when we are actually able to commit a sin.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I do not believe in having babies baptized. I think that it is a personal decision that someone needs to make when they are old enough to do so. It is an outward display of the decision to live your life for God. A baby can not make that decision.
    I had my son dedicated, which is where we basically said I dedicated this baby and his life to God and promise to raise him in a Godly manor.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:01 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My dh is Lutheran, and they believe in baptism of babies (lots of reasons). I am Non Denominational Charismatic Christian, and I don't believe in baptizing babies - I believe you have to be old enough to choose it for yourself - again, lots of reasons. (I'm not avoiding sharing the reasons, they're just too long to get into here.) We both respect how each other believes.

We have 2 kids (both teens now), and here's how we resolved it:

Both of them were baptized as babies, in keeping with my dh's beliefs. I do not believe that it was a baptism, in my mind, it was an infant dedication (which my faith believes in). Then, when they were older and able to understand what it meant, they had the option to be re-baptized. My dh just viewed it (and the classes that went with it), as just a different form of confirmation with water involved.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:07 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I do believe in Infant Christening. It is a way for the parents to ask for the church to help raise their children in the church. To help teach Christian ways. This is the belief of my church and all 4 of my children were Christened before they were 5 mos. old.

In our church, we have confirmation for the older youth that choose to become members of the church.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• We both believe in God, we're both Christians, and we have raised our children to also believe in God. They have also both accepted Christ into their hearts.

Neither of us believe that God is going to disapprove of us doing it this way, because we both see how each "side" has good points for how they think it should be done (based on their interpretation of scripture). This way, both of our beliefs were respected, and it's not like we were sacrificing chickens to Satan or anything, both were about accepting Christ as Savior, and how can a "double dose" of that be a bad thing?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:11 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• i dont believe in infant baptism, I believe that baptism is a symbol of repentance and acceptance of God in ones life. A baby is unable to make that decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I don't go for infant baptism. They have no say in the matter, which makes it mean zilch. Baptism is something that should be reserved for those old enough to make the decision themselves.

Also, God isn't sending babies to hell because their parents didn't have water dribbled on them.....
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I am a Christian, a Baptist and we believe that the first act you do as a Christian, to show obedience, is to be baptized. It is just a symbol of being washed clean. You were stained and then you confessed your sins and confessed that Jesus Christ was your savior and your sins were washed away. I also believe we don't know all the answers and aren't supposed to know all the answers. It says that in the bible too. If it makes your husband feel good to do it, it won't harm anything. Maybe he sees it as a protection thing, to ask God to protect his child, or to say this child will be raised to believe in God. I don't think God would object to his feelings on that!! :)
    Shellness

Answer by Shellness at 10:30 AM on Mar. 24, 2010