What is an appropriate Tyelnol Dosage?

My 1 year old has a cold and because it's her first cold, I don't really know what to do for her. I've had some friends recommend Tylenol and we did get some a little while ago when the doctor recommended it for teething. We never actually gave it to her then so we don't know the recommended dosage, and calling the doctor is such a pain - she usually doesn't get back to us until after 5, does anyone know what the recommended dosage is for a 1 year old who only weighs about 20 pounds?

MomToovey

Asked by MomToovey at 10:03 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she does not have a fever of pain don't give tylenol. I know a lot of people do and it kills me. It doesn't make sence. IT is not for colds or coughs, but for fever reducer and pain. So if your child has neither of theese youare unnessisarily medicating your child.
    But for future ref. the right dose of infants tylenol for 20 lbs is 0.8 + 0.4, and for children's tylenol is 3/4 tsp.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:06 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Check the side of your tylenol container, it goes by weight. My bottle recommends 1.875 ml for children over 18lbs.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• The bottle also tells you by weight, I have not had a 1 year old in a long time.

If you can' t reach your doctor you can actually call the hospital you go to, I do that and get the pediatics nurse. Sometimes you must do what you must do, or your insurance might have a nurse hot line.

I would not give it for a cold, unless the child is in pain. If you don't have a humidifier run the shower with hot water, and close the door then go in there with your kid. The love the steam and it loosens mucus and actually makes them feel better meaning their head.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My daughter is 13 months, 18.5 pounds. She gets 0.8
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:23 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't give that to her at all. Especially if she's just got a cold. Your going to cover up if she does get a fever and then no one will know what's wrong with her.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I agree with the others that if she just has a cold and no pain or fever, Tylenol isn't going to help. When in doubt on over the counter dosage, you can also try calling your local pharmacy. They can sometimes help on those type questions. On your next visit to your doctor's office, as for a Tylenol dosage chart (or call the company and ask). I ahve one and it's very helpful.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• my kids are 6, almost 5, 2 and 2. none of them have ever had any medication. we ride colds out.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Thank you everyone for your help! It makes sense not to use it, especially since my husband and I never take medicine when we're sick. Just one of those panicky new mom things I guess!
    MomToovey

Answer by MomToovey at 10:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2010