How do you know if you have pnumonia?

I got this nasty head cold about 3 weeks or so ago. Instead of getting better, its only gotten worse. I'm pretty sure it turned into a sinus infection and now its been in my chest for the past week. I'm coughing like crazy and coughing up yellowish-green mucus(I know, gross lol). I don't have a fever though. So thats a good thing,right?
I've been waiting for my doctor appointment that I have scheduled for today because I don't like seeing different doctors to prescribe me all different kinds of medicine(I'm pregnant).
Anyway, I've never had pnumonia and my dad seems to think that that is what it might have turned into. Anyone ever have it? What were your symptoms? How do you get better?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 10:33 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Health

• I had it back in Nov. I had a dry hacking, unproductive cough (no mucus at all), I couldn't breath very well and had a fever of 104. I thought I had the flu so I didn't go to the doc for over a week. I was so tired and sick I literally could not get out of bed. I needed a shot of antibiotics in the hieny, plus 10 days of oral antibiotics. The only way to diagnose for sure is with an x-ray. It took me over 3 months to recover.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My husband had it and he said his chest felt heavy. He went and got meds from the doctor but it took a while for him to get over it and even a long while for his lungs to fully heal. Doesn't help that he smokes. My grandmother also had it and we only knew that she was sick with flu-like symptoms and very tired all the time. We took her in and it ended up being pneumonia. She went into the hospital and had all sorts of meds. But in her case she was 87 when she had it.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 10:40 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Doesn't sound like pneumonia, but def an upper respiratory infection. Drink plenty of fluids to flush everything out and REST. The dr may be able to give you an expectorant to help.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 12:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Thanks for all your helpful answers! I'm pretty sure it must not be pneumonia(spelled it right this time,I thought it looked wrong,lol). I do feel terrible but my chest is not heavy and I'm still functioning,lol. So I will see tonight. Thanks again. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2010