getting the idea they are trying to get rid of me..help

I have been working the same job for 5 yr in May never any issues until this year. Its a school bus company I missed two days In Jan & they are just now telling me that is considered a attendance problem & that although I was sick I should have came in.. what do I do? I can't lose my job I have no skills no GED

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 10:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• Out sick twice in 5 yrs and they are saying you have an attendance problem I would be looking for another job and if they do fire you for being sick then i would be calling the labor board and a lawyer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• No I have been out more than two days in five years, but we used to have personal days that I could use when sick & now we have no personal days.. & as I said no one else would hire me with no GED, no skills. I have a learning disorder & have taken my GED over 20 times 7 failed by 5-7 points each time.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:21 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Not sure.. get a note from doctor. If fired get unemployment and file a complaint.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 11:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• um its march & they are just now saying something little late for a doctors note..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• If you went to the doc in Jan when you were sick it's not too late, they can go back and pull your records and base it from the notes.
    If you didn't go to the doctor then you are correct, it's too late.

It sounds to me there is more to this story. I would ask what are their basis for you having an attendance problem. Are you ever having to come in late or leave early as well? Were the two days you were out during times that were extremely important and someone was relying heavily on you to be there to pull your weight?

It just sounds to me that attendance isnt the only issue at hand here. I would be doing my best to find out what is the issue.

Good luck...
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 1:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• What skills are you using with this job now?

Take it to the school district if they trying to fire you for 2 days missed. I really don't see why they would do that. That's what sick days and personal holiday are there for to use. Talk to HR. Also, you've had reviews that they have done on your over the years and if they are all good that is your back up as a good employee.

GL
    Anonymous

• we have no personnel days no sick days..we are just expected to come in everyday.. According to them I was late although I came in at 2:30pm & the kids don't get picked up until 2:50pm.. and i didn't even go to the doctor because it was a one day stomach virus.. the other day I missed I am unsure of I can't remember.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:32 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• It sounds like you need to start building a future. Contact a local community college and get a GED. Then start taking classes, both for a college degree, and for skills. I would take Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel and Powerpoint), and at least one bookkeeping class.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:09 PM on Mar. 25, 2010