How many and how long are the nap(s) your babies/children take?

I'm just curious because my 13 month old take one long nap,usually about 2 hours. She gets really tired around 11 a.m. But then she gets really sleepy again around 4:30 or 5:00. I really don't want her to nap at that time because then she wants to stay up late for bedtime. I've tried moving her naptime up to like 12 or 1 o'clock, but she's just not having it,lol. Do most babies this age still take 2 naps?
I also babysit for a 10 month old and he does still take 2 naps. He goes down at 11,the same time she does and then he sleeps just under 2 hours and gets tired again around 3 and sleeps for about an hour. His mom tells me he has no problem going to sleep at night at a decent hour.
I don't know,lol.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 11:00 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my youngest at that age woke up at 7 or 7:30am She would get tired at 10 so I put her to nap at that time she would sleep until 12 or 1 then before bedtime (8) she would be tired again she would get tired around 4 or 5 I hated putting her down that late cause she wouldn't sleep at night. So I would try to take the crying and whinning and if only I couldn't take it anymore then I would lay her down and give her a later bedtime that day. Try moving the nap up a little thats what I had to do then she started taking one nap. Now at 2 she takes a nap at 12:30 or 1 until anywhere from 2:30-almost 4.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My son is 2 years old and for months now he has been taking a nap from about 12-1:30 or so and sometimes he also gets sleepy again later in the day but if he has a good nap he's good for the rest of the day usually.
    jennkc35

Answer by jennkc35 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My DD goes in for a nap at around 1-1:30pm and she will be up no later then 3:30pm. She stopped taking morning naps at about 12-13 months old. I will not allow my DD to sleep after 3pm if she doesn't fall asleep by 3pm then we have a no nap day, that makes for a long day but she crashes out at bedtime.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:05 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My son stopped taking 2 naps at 13 months. He turned 2 in Nov and til recently his naps were anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours.. now.. its taking him an hour to fall asleep and he isn't sleeping long so I think this one will go away soon as well...wah....! I use the clock for naps.. otherwise you would never know EVER that my son was tired. he has never made signs - the only sign we started noticing when he was tired was he got MORE energy.. weird right.! Lol! So he wakes at 6, nap at 12 - bed at 8:30/9.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My 13 month old only takes 1 nap a day. It's usually any time between 1 and 2 in the afternoon and lasts 1.5 to 2 hours. And she sleeps a full 12 hours at night (9-9). However, I know that my doctor and some books (especially What To Expect) all say that 1-2 naps is normal...so if yours wants 2 naps, I say let her have them!
    MomToovey

Answer by MomToovey at 11:28 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• my 21 month old takes t-2 naps a day...she'll fall asleep about 12:30 and sleep 30 min to an hour...and then she'll take another 30 min to an hour nap from 7-8..she'll be in bed by ten..sleeps through the night, just not in her own room..she's on a pallat in our bedroom floor..has been for 6 months (since her last virus ugghh)
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 11:41 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My 20 month old takes 1 nap for 1 1/2- 2 hours at about 12:30 and then goes to bed at night around 9:00
    But I have a friend with a daughter the same age who is a BIG sleeper... she sleeps 12 hours at night and then takes a morning and after noon nap still for about 3-4 hours total.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• my 4 yr old takes a 2-3 hr nap and so does the 2 yr old I watch. They always have and will till they go to school.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My first daughter switched to one nap at 11 months and we struggled like you are to make it in the middle of the day rather than in the morning... after an adjustment period, we were able to get her on a noon schedule. Her naps were always about 90 minutes. My second daughter switched (sort of) at around 13 months but at that age she could have also taken 2 naps (10 and 2ish) or one nap (noon or one) and I opted for the latter so it would be synchronized with my other daughter's nap. She always had at least one LONG nap of 2.5-4 hours; if she had an earlier one, it was 60-90 minutes. Now she's 18 months and naps from about 12:30-3:30.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My son is 16 months and takes one 3 hour nap around 12. When he first switched to one nap he would still get sleepy around 10 when his early nap had been - we started a "snuggle" time then with some books and soft music on the couch. Sometimes he would fall asleep and I would let him sleep around 20 minutes and then wake him up - it was enough of a "catnap" to let him last until naptime but not so long that he wouldn't go down.
    At night he sleeps from 7 pm-7am.

Answer by missanc at 4:39 PM on Mar. 24, 2010