How and/or why is diarrhea a sign of labor?

I have been hearing and reading that diarrhea is a sign of labor.. How or why? Are there other things accompanied with it for you to know labor is coming?

JustMeTiff

Asked by JustMeTiff at 7:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I've heard of this happening. However when I was pregnant with the twins I was extremely constipated throughout the pregnancy. A loose stool would have been a big relief for me, lol. Signs of labor for twins are basically the same as for a singleton. It can kind of sneak up on you though because of contributing the pains to just generally being uncomfortable. That's why it's so important to communicate with your dr and let them know how you're feeling. I started having contractions at 32 weeks and at first didn't even notice them. They stopped them no problem, but a few days later I was back in for contractions I could feel. I had contractions off and on for a couple weeks until I was admitted at 34w5d again for contractions. I was transferred to another hospital 2hours from home and kept there until 35w2d when I had the babies.
    LuvMyTwins407

Answer by LuvMyTwins407 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• If I'm not mistaken diarrhea is a symptom because your bowels are loosened with the descending baby on your internal organs
    sexy_with_5

Answer by sexy_with_5 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• the uterus, bowel and bladder are all very close neighbors in a tight space. As the uterus contracts it can 'massage' the bowel thereby causing 'hyperperistalsis" which basically means..diarrhea of sorts. Truly is is just a very loose stool.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• To know that labor is coming most women loose their mucus plug. Its like a bloody, snot looking thing, its gross. But that and lower back pain are usually one of the first signs.
    awife1life3kids

Answer by awife1life3kids at 8:30 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I don't believe it is a sign of labor. As other people mentioned usually the first obvious sign is the mucus plug passage.
    firaerty

Answer by firaerty at 9:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• i heard the same thing. why? b/c organs are cramped and your body is trying to get everything uot of way to make room for baby i think. i never had this with ym son, but a little bit with the irls about a week before i went ino labor at 32 weeks. congrats on making it that far! keep up the good work of making healthy babies!!
    aidanstwins

Answer by aidanstwins at 9:47 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I don't know that I would say it's a sign of labor necessarily, but the contractions of labor can induce a bowel movement, so maybe diarrhea could be a sign.
    Tijae

Answer by Tijae at 10:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Your body is trying to free up as much room as possible for the baby. There is VERY limited space in the pelvis and your body wants to clear the way for the baby.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• it is a sign of labor, your body's "cleaning out" response
    proud_mrs

Answer by proud_mrs at 11:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2008

• Feom what my doc told me it is your body releasing excess toxins before the birth. they used to do enimas but have now come to realize that your body does it itself. I also had 2 days of horrible back pain before my water broke and the doc said that was labor too. i don't think any one woman is the same.
    gravytwingles

Answer by gravytwingles at 8:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2008