Does anyone have to use a breathing machine on their toddler?

I'm asking because I need to start back using it, but my almost 2 yr. old pitches terrible fits, kicks && screams, && barely get any medicine in him when I try. Any tips or tricks you use with your kid?

Blueberryplz

Asked by Blueberryplz at 11:31 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We don't use the mask, either. I sit my daughter on my lap and have a stack of books ready to go. Then I hold it under her mouth/nose while we read books. My brother used to build a blanket fort with my nephew, then they'd sit under the blankets and do his treatments. There is an age where the mask is just useless, and we're there.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I used to just hold it under her chin instead of trying to get the mask on her face.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:32 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I had to use the nebulizer for my son when he was little. The doctor told me that it was good when he screamed because the medicine was getting into his lungs better,lol.
    I would sit with him in our rocking chair,hold it near his face (instead of the mask,they had a nozzle thing,I foget what its called but my son wouldnt use the mask). I would rock him,read a book to him,sing,anything to distract him from it and before we knew it, it was all done.
    It's not easy, I know.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:36 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Kimberly is right. Even though it seems like it isn't doing any good, it's actually helpful if they scream b/c they inevitably inhale harder to then scream :) I bought my kids the decorative masks. One has a dinosaur, the other has a fish. I would let them help me put the meds in the cup and put the mask on by themselves. If they refused the mask, I would offer the blow-by tube. They only had those 2 choices, or they knew I would hold them and make them wear the mask. After they were finished, I let them have a little juice b/c of the taste of the meds and then we brushed their teeth. (Always brush their teeth b/c the solutions can erode them) They even liked helping me clean the masks. Good Luck!
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 12:09 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• i do for both kids and myself. my dd is 3 and since she was about 2 she sits there and holds the mask herself or the tube. as for ds he is 1 and i have to sing to him or make funny faces.maybe put a movie in or read a book
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:22 PM on Mar. 24, 2010