Do you believe everything a child does is your responsibility?

I find it ironic that parents blame there selves all the time.

You can guide them to the fountain, but whos to say they will drink.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• it my job to make them drink until they are 18.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I agree with you...
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:40 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I'm with Christina2135. As a parent, it's my job to lead them until they are no longer my legal responsibility. And if they screw up miserably, then I will blame myself for not doing a good enough job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• A child has free will the same as we do. We can teach them how to drink but to actually drink is not something you can force them to do. Yes some parents are to blame for their childs actions because they never held them accountable, taught them differently, etc but when a parent does teach them that killing, lieing, stealing, etc is wrong and there is consequences then at some time you have to hold the child accountable.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:43 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• LOL Funny thoughts here is why my son got into some trouble when he was under age he stole from Wal-Mart and they sued me as well because he was underage I am no longer allowed to work at Wal-Mart. He stole from Kmart when he was supposed to be in school I am no longer permitted to work there either. We did everything we could to stop him but in the cold light of day it was our fault they thought there was neglect because he was so out of control. I had to quit my job to make sure he went to school the state stepped in and took him for a while when they could not control him after he ran away from them they charged us for it. so yes you are responsible
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• you should be held responsible for everything they do until the age of 18. If they decide they want to go out and vandalize something then you should have to pay the fines and you are responsible for making them do community service and whatever they are ordered to do.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• We grounded him took things and made it impossible for him to leave the house after they tried to get us for holding him hostage. but if we did not keep him in he would get in trouble and after he was locked up they closed the case against us but it did not change how I felt I could have done more. Now I know we did everything we could have but it did not change him. Now he is 19 and doing way better he has apologized but says he knows this cannot take the things he did back. He now tells us parenting our parenting had nothing to do with it. I just smile and know.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• it's still your responsibility.. it's your child. if they do something wrong it's up to you to correct them...
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 12:45 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• You may be legally responsible, but no- honestly a parent cannot be responsible for EVERYTHING a child does. I think it's just you being niave and thinking that your child is perfect if you really beleive you are 100% for your child- even children have a mind of their own!!
    Anonymous

• Until they are old enough and mature enough to make decisions for themselves, then yes, their actions are my responisbility.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2010