What should I pay my babysitter?

I'll be going on a trip soon for 5 days. My mother will watch my 2 kids from 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. each day and my babysitter will watch them from 6:30 p.m. until 7 a.m. the next morning. What should I pay my sitter? I have no idea. I want to pay a fair price, but considering everyone will be asleep for half the time the sitter will be here, I don't know what's a good price.

HealingThinker

Asked by HealingThinker at 11:42 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• I babysit my friend's kids sometimes, but I am known to be cheap - I only charge $3-$5/hour. I think most other babysitters charge more than that now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• What does she charge during the day? Call around to other "night" sitters and ask their fees.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Actually, a lot of babysitters/nannies/child caretakers charge more for the evening because it is thier time you are paying for.It is more inconvienient for a babysitter to be at someone elses house during that time.
    I babysit at my home. During the day I generally charge $2.50 per hour per child,but that is because I work for more than one family. For evenings I charge $30.00 for a maximum of 9 hours and $5.00 per hour after that.
    When I worked as a I nanny, I was paid $250.00 to babysit over a weekend, beginning Friday evening at 6 pm till Sunday evening around 5 pm.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:05 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• I would think it would be about $30-$40 per kid per night. When my boys were younger, I would take them to a friend who ran an in home daycare and she watched them overnight for a few nights. I paid $30 per night per kid at that time and that was at a discount so I would bring that up and ask her if that sounded fair and if not then what she was thinking.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2010