Instead of the new healthcare reform bill, should people just be required to pay for what they need upfront or be denied?

In lots of places and different situations, if you don't have money to pay for something, then you go without. This is what drives people to prosper. If you don't think ahead, then that's your problem.

This "reform" is supposedly brought on to alleviate the governments spending on health care for the uninsured. So what if everyone just took responsibility for themselves?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I know in a sense it happens to people

Not "in a sense". If you need your gall bladder out and go to our local hospital, you have to pay for the surgery before they will do it. You send the bill to your insurance and IF the insurance company agrees that you needed it, they will send you a check for how much THEY think the surgery should have cost. If they decide you didn't "need" the surgery, they send you nothing.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Are you kidding? Suppose you have a child that needs heart surgery right after birth... Was that something you could have "prepared" for? Do you have any idea how much that would cost? I don't know how much you make, but I for one certainly can't save hundreds of thousands of dollars to make sure I'm covered for EVERY possibility...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 11:57 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Unfortunately, many doctors are now going to go the "fee-for-service" route b/c they won't make crap otherwise. I work for a brain injury specialist and we went to FFS a loooooong time ago b/c insurance wasn't paying hardly ANYTHING for the services we were providing. Our practice has thrived since then. It's kind of sad when you have to turn people away because of finances, but it's that or WE go hungry. That's what "managed care" has done to our society and it will only be worse when the government manages it.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 11:58 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Some hospitals do that now, even if you have insurance. They will no longer wait for reimbursement on pre-scheduled surgery and require you to pay up front and let the insurance pay you instead. If anything, there will probably be more places doing that since the overload of claims will probably slow down payment from the insurance companies. Medicare and Medicaid already take 6 months or more to pay, they'll probably get worse too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:58 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• You're a mom right. Did you happen to see the hospital bill for your prenatal check-ups, your labor and delivery, etc. I would like to see you try to pay that upfront. I doubt you'd be able to which means you'll go without. Now let's apply the same sort of thing but with a special needs child or a cancer patient. They can't pay for the costs up front so they'd go without treatment.
    Way to kill of the old, the young, and the uninsured. You get a gold star.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Mar. 24, 2010

• No that doesn't solve the problem of hospitals, doctors and pharmacies charging way too much for services. I do have one doctor though that gives you a HUGE discount if you forget your insurance and pay cash. which works for me since my insurance doesn't cover much.
    Anonymous

• The problem is that healthcare is SOOOO expensive. I had an emergency surgery last June, and the bill was $20,000. THANK GOD we had insurance, because that is a LOT of damned money. Not many people have that lying around to pay for lifesaving procedures. What if you have a premature baby? The costs of NICU care EASILY approaches $1,000,000 for a very premature baby. The COST is what's out of control. And the reasonf or that is because YOU, as a patient, are a liability, and because pharmaceutical companies charge an arm and a leg for medical equipment and prescription drugs.

Same goes for simple things like office visits. An office visit around here is $225. Do you have $225 to take your baby for all well child checks? Every time someone in your house needs to see the doctor?

We're a healthy family, and even so, we are in medical debt up to our ears, even WITH insurance. That's the root of the problem.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• OP Here

I should have said this upfront. I'm for reform. I believe everyone should have to have health insurance. I just think its unconstitutional to force them.

Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Yeah that is a great idea so that those who can't afford it just die. Those who can't afford care for their pregnancy6 treatment go through not knowing they a problem then give birth at home and their kid get's to let nature take it's course rather than go NICU. Good idea I wish every one thought as short sightest as you wouldn't the world be so much better. NOT! I agree this H/C thing is retarded but come up with a better solution then just don't treat if they can't pay!!!
    Anonymous

• I definately agree with you on that point OP. But I don't think it's right for doctors to deny care because of a patient's insured status or income. Like I said, the reform needs to come in the form of reduced costs alltogether, not just forcing everyone to have health insurance.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2010