Suicide

My best friends son ended his life on Monday...while he is not a relative I am so distraught and feel like he was a part my my life. I read his letters he left and I am just in pieces. I can only imagine how my best friend feels. He was only 18 years old. How can I pull myself together and be the friend she needs me to be? I just cannt get the visions out of my head.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• My BIL did the same thing last year. It was devastating. I think what was best for my husband and his family was to talk about it. To remember him and look at pictures. Don't be afraid to mention him. All they wanted to do was discuss him and remember better times.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:23 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Talk to her, see what pictures you have of him, show her that you miss him too and that he was a great kid, remember good things, do not mentioned what has recently happened till you are both a little more together
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 12:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Go cry with her. That's what has helped my family with the death of my brother. He took his life last July, and we still cry with each other over it. It's a tragic thing, and it's so hard. You cannot always be "strong". It's okay to show her that he meant something to you too, and that your heart is aching as well. It's okay for her to know she's not alone in her pain. You may not understand how exactly she feels because it's not your son, but sharing the pain helps. Sharing pain comforts.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 12:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Just be around her as much as possible really.. if she needs something then bring it to her.. if she wants to talk then talk to her... all you can do is be a friend... maybe go to a meeting somewhere
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:10 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• My best friend killed himself in 2003. I needed to talk about him endlessly. Just be there for her. Let her talk. Let her cry. I fell in to a deep depression and I really needed support so the best you can do is simply be there physically and emotionally for her.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2010

• Be there for her when she is ready. Talk about favorite and good memories of him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2010